Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed registering used UK motorcycle purchased in Ireland

• 26-12-2021 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks, I would really appreciate some information and advice on how to register a used UK motorcycle that I am about to purchase, however , the bike is already in Ireland, without proof of entry.

Ok, here's what happened.

My friend, from the UK had to move out from the house he was living in (in the UK), he decided to visit me here in Tipperary and stay a few weeks. He had a van driver bring his bike over and delivered to my house whilst my friend took a plane over. My friend did not get a receipt from the van driver or any form of customs declaration as he was the registered owner and was intending to return to the UK in a month or so, along with his bike.

However, he has now decided to sell the bike to me and return to the UK without it. So, I have the full logbook, and a receipt, but no proof of entry for the bike.

Can I still register it ?

I do not want to be stuck with a bike I cannot register. The bike is a cbr1000rr 2005.

Any info would really be appreciated.

My friend plans to fly back next week.

Hopefully someone can tell me for sure if I can register it under these circumstances.

He does have proof of entry for himself, but not the bike.

Many thanks guys, Matthew.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can register it alright, you'll just need to pay the VRT and any other taxes due on it, which has become allot more since Britain brexited the single market...

Depending on the age and mileage of the bike, you may have been left with a poison chalice...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vrt and Vat are due, you will need the Cert of Conformity and the receipt for importation get this from the van delivery driver. This is all backdated to the date of entry into the state as well. How long has it been here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matty.n.

Thanks for the replies, the bike was here being used by the registered registered owner who was visiting and who has now decided to return to UK without the bike. 2005 bike with 30k miles.

Being honest, It looks even more complex than I originally thought.

Unless there is something very special about that bike, I would send it back and buy one here or in the EU.

I have imported many vehicles over the years from UK, and other EU countries but the only time I imported from outside the EU there wasn't any special procedures in place, the new system looks prohibitively complex to me with a lot of steps to go wrong.

https://www.ncts.ie/vrt-home/vrt-faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Op will be in for some pain, without proof they'll penalise with some random a$$ number they decide on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You would want to get the bike for nearly free fotlr it o be it worth the hassle tbh.

It's all fixable & doable, but for a 16 Yr old Honda ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matty.n.

Yes, it's a decent price and a decent bike from a long time friend, it would be really nice to get and he's keen to sell it to me for even half price rather than a stranger. He treats his bikes like their his offspring!

Health issues and age have finally taken their toll on him and he's come to the decision it is time to quit riding and was dreading the return ride, so we came up with the idea of me taking ownership of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Is it a decent price after customs, vrt, vat and the possibility of some hidden Revenue charges- that's the question.

If you think it is, then fire away, but do it sooner rather than later.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They are making 3700-3800 on the continent for that mileage and year.

Add VRT 134

Ferry-Pickup- 400

so 4300 all in maybe less if you can haggle with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Book a ferry ticket from UK Ireland. You will need a clearing agent and then VAT and Duty will be due. Once that's done you can VRT it

I went through the process last year for a UK bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement