Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbors dog fouling on my property

Options
  • 25-12-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here or in one of the other topics so sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

One of our neighbors a few doors up go walking with their dogs around the estate. I'm not overly familiar with dog breeds but these are big and possibly some sort of bull dog. They don't keep them on any leash and now they've started using our small patch of garden at the front as their new toilet and the owners don't pick it up. 

Now usually I'd tell the neighbor to clean up after them but these are not the most friendly people. They've already had the house raided twice by the guards in the last two years and I really don't want to have anything to do with them but at the same time I don't want to pick up dog **** for the foreseeable future.

Amy suggestions on how to keep the dogs from relieving themselves and should I report the neighbors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sprinkle pepper where they go. Cayenne pepper works a treat, can be bought cheaply in lidl/Aldi/dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Yeah have read that alright. Just wondering how effective it is in the rain though?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭reclose

If it’s deliberate then issue a yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Dogs marking his territory on your land. Man up will ya?

I actually think if you **** on your own patch the dog will get the hint.

If you don't want to try that then buy a big water pistol or something and make sure the dog stays away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 WillContribute

Years ago, had a problem but it wasn't from dodgy neighbours, but my front lawn was repeatedly filthy with dog crap.

I set up an electric fence (borrowed from a farmer) around the grass. 1 ft high. Spoke to the neighbours, (it was some of their dogs) but blamed it instead on two big dogs that came in from outside the estate, Advised the near neighbours to just keep their dogs away for a week or so., etc. Asked them about the big dogs etc. , Did they know who owned them? Advised neighbours who might have kids visiting etc.

Firstly the turding reduced, but then moved to just beyond the edge of fence. The dogs followed the wire to its end and turded there instead.

Then I painted the wire green.

Stopped completely, a few days. Grass spotless from then on. Broke the pattern.

Now I was in a small estate, at the end and no kids around at that time.

Maybe not suitable to the OP case with dodgy neighbours but other cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Pick up their excrement and put it in their letter box. I appreciate this is will upset the snow flakes but let’s call a spade a spade here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A bit extreme given the facts as presented....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Print out an A4 paper that say's POISSON LAYED across the road from you (not in your garden) along with some perfectly safe cheap stewing beef, then run out when you see your neighbours approaching and warn them of the danger. Rub the dogs, have a chat and scratch your head & wonder why some scumbag would like to harm their dogs (that you love). Tell them that you're going to keep an eye out for some local malicious freak that hates the local foxes coming in to the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

• Advertisement

Would love to but I just don't want the hassle of dealing with this scum bag family. I'd probably just print a target on our backs..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could try Hank's tactic for dealing with the neighbour who used to steal his newspaper and let his dog crap on Hank's lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It's hard to know what you're looking for here op, what advice are you expecting if you won't deal with the owners yourself, a friend of mine had the same issues and spent nearly 5 grand putting up a fence to stop dogs soiling his lawns and footpaths, in an estate with multiple dogs he just got sick of asking everyone to stop their dogs from shītting on his lawn so put up a fence, unless you're willing to go head to head and deal with the owner of the dog you'd be as well off putting up a fence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's about breaking the cycle so after rain it's probably no harm to throw some more down.

Our garden isn't that big but we just concentrated on the patches where the dog had gone before and at the border of the grass, so when they start sniffing around they get hit by the pepper.

At one stage it was nearly every second day we had a present and with young children that's extremely irritating. We haven't had anything in months now so I'd say we used 1and a half pepper bottles in total.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

Well some ideas for dog deterrent would help. Will try the pepper idea someone else suggested. It's only a small patch of grass at the front so a fence would look a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....or even POISON LAID if you wish to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Go with the chili pepper or maybe something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Dazer-II-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B000IBRI2Y

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note

Don't be a dick. If you have nothing to add then don't post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Buy a pooper scooper if you can't bring yourself to tell the owner. Or if it's a breed that should be on a lead and muzzled in public report it to the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would get rid pf the grass . concrete it. doesnt sound lik you use it for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Fence and gate ? Doesn't have to be an expensive. You could run chicken wire between the posts if they are far apart. Then some beech hedging to hide/grow through posts/wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

A work colleague had this same problem, in front of our offices. During Christmas one year 9god rest his soul) he presented the said neighbour with a beautifully wrapped present. The neighbour said “I’m sorry..I have nothing for you” needless to say what the present was… stopped straight after that, never to be a problem again.

Yeah maybe eventually. Don't have the funds at the min for such a project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

A fence or hedge would be a solution i think it would create a barrier from the path and hopefully would deter the offenders once the hedge had grown you could always remove the fence if you wanted you can get hedges that have a bit of height to put down and will not take long to make a border .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

Buy a bear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OP... talk to Whyshbone Ais before taking any of my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pour some bacon grease on to the *mound* and the dogs should remove it themselves.

It won't be your problem after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP, scoop up the dog poo and thrown it back into their garden, or even put it through their letterbox in a bag, worked for me with an anti social neighbour. Soon got the message.

You have to meet this type of idiots straight on. Its all they understand.

Advertisement