If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Can my partner take out a policy in her name on my car?

  • 24-12-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

    Hi, this is probably an unusual question.

    I personally don't drive but my partner has a full licence and will be the person that's driving it. I will be paying for the car so it's registered in my name. We're not married but we live together.

    The question is, is it possible for her to take out an insurance policy in her name on a car registered in my name?

    Thanks 🙂


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

    It's certainly possible for a married partner to do so.

  • Im a bit confused why you’ve bought and are paying for a car when you don’t drive?

    surely the sensible thing to do is register it in her name since she’s the one who’ll be driving it?

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭denismc

    Our car is in my wife's name but I'm the main user so the policy is in my name.

    I don't think there will be an issue once you are upfront with your insurer.

  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Esel

    Probably has to be a legal partnership (married etc.) for one person to be allowed take out insurance on a car owned by the other partner.

    If you don't fit the above, you could sell the car to your partner for €1 then there would be no problem for them to insure it.

    Not your ornery onager

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

    You can do this, a spouse / civil partner can take out a policy in their own name on a vehicle owned by the other party once they are cohabiting.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

    A spouse or civil partnerships are recognised relationships and have joint ownership of everything either owns, they have an insurable interest in each others property.

    While cohabiting for 5 years, or 2 with children, has massive issues for the couple if they break up it's not recognised in any other way, so you don't have an insurable interest in your cohabiting partners property so can't insure it and a massive tax bill when they die.