Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Boards make you contrarian or do contrarians join Boards?

Options
  • 23-12-2021 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

One of the most noticeable differences between me and other people, NPC's as I call them is that I constantly play devil's advocate or go against the grain. I've often wondered is it because for a lot of my life I have absorbed a myriad of opinions and viewpoints on a site like Boards that has caused me to be cynical and analytical in a way most normies just aren't. I feel that the more you use message boards the more you are exposed to differing opinions and viewpoints in a way that most regular people just aren't. I quite like being like this but normies just cannot understand it at all.

Comments

I was gonna say great thread OP when I saw the title.. then I read your OP 😂

You're one of a kind OP.. a maverick... true to your word, the Opening Post puts you on a pedestal; with the rest of us mere 'normies'

"Are there certain OPs (posters) that bring out the worst in people?" could just as well have been the 'clickbait' used 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I am being a bit tongue in cheek but it's a general trend I have noticed, not saying am better, in fact I am dumber than a lot of people I know but I've always felt I am more analytical than most people I meet.

A bit of both.

I think it can be fairly adversarial on here, especially on anything political or related to social issues. It can be entertaining but a bit much some times and I'm no angel in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not a contrarian, just contrary...

It attracts the inner troll. You can say things you would like to say in person, but are probably too chicken sht to do so in real life.

For example, hey OP, you used the word "normies", yes, you do strike me as a bit of a "weirdie".

All the best, happy Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I keep my discourse on here very civil and fair, I have never trolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Reading through the titles, thread after thread of people giving out about someone or something, Not like years back when you'd come to boards for a laugh, people nowadays are less likely to run with a silly joke or bit of banter but much more likely pick an argument with someone, I've done it myself recently and it's not me. I agree with VladimirTechniks about it bringing out the inner troll in people, collectively turning us into the brood of vipers we've become.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Every time I quickly see the Ops name I read it as "complete idiot"

Posting on After Hours is a bit like having a w@nk. Sure, it's fun and all at the time, but it's ultimately pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No OP. You are just wrong. There are no contrarians on here. None at all.

• Advertisement

There’s a few ‘all day’ merchants over in Current Affairs and you’d wonder what went wrong in their lives to make them the way they are. Utterly tragic cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think it's the latter, contrarians join boards, because mainstream Irish life is so streamlined.

Boards is fairly out there in terms of differing opinions.

I find posters here are massively open minded as well, which is great.

Advertisement