Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump - Genyo 8a

Options
  • 22-12-2021 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help with this issue:

We have a Lowara Genyo 8a pump (this is the one: PRESSCONTROL LOWARA GENYO 8A / F15 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H4BNP0A/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VQBM0BNV399C6XZ41E9N )

It is on top of the water tank upstairs to provide pressurised water to the taps and showers. It is 5 years old.

The pump doesn't 'kick in' anymore and the pressure gauge goes to zero. We have to press the Reset button to get it to work and it will hold the pressure then until the tap is turned off. Next time we open a tap we have to hit the Reset again.

The red Failure light has never been on.

Is there a DIY way to fix this or is a replacement needed? For the week that's in it would a DIY replacement be manageable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fruitandnut1

Hi, I had EXACTLY the same issue a few days ago. I ended up purchasing a replacement (123 Euro) and when the water was back on and the family were sorted i took apart the old unit. The replacement is quite a simple to install, one off - one on so I didnt need a plumber. The cost of not needing to call a plumber out covered the cost of the replacement pump. The Plumber would have just changed the pump as they are seen as consumable items and not worth their time to repair / troubleshoot.

There are only a few moving parts to this unit and the spares part numbers are available on the following address (insert https:// at the start of the link below as boards.ie wont let me post links on a new account) :

rcwemea.xyleminc.com/Spark/Pdf_Genyo.aspx?Params=qeb17eyUUky8tZh4ZxJPRmTQwRizS36FH0MqplgxWFugkbpKPzlavor9BaUQmh6R7HnFdBY3zUJRo9GXVqSXtPOSdNcb3NGdkanL7vS89w4%3d 

Mine was gunked up a bit on the diaphragm side, and with a replacement PCB that I will source this will recondition the old pump and keep it as a standby unit. Will be back in business for about a tenner or so. I hope you got sorted over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Hi Fruitandnut1, thanks for your reply.

I had a no show from a plumber over the Christmas so it is still not repaired! I'm glad to hear you swapped in the new one yourself, I'll have a look and see would it be possible/straight forward here.

It's a great idea to recondition the old one and keep as a spare. I try get one and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help👍🏻

Picked up a Genyo 8a locally yesterday and attempted to fit it. Unfortunately the fitting attached to the end of the pump cracked as I was taking it off... There was alot of glue / silicone sealing it. Needless to say all connected up ok but water was leaking from the crack. With no suppliers open today we'll have to do without hot water until tomorrow!!

Fruitandnut1, Did you use anything to seal the fitting to the pump? I'm not sure what to look/ask for.

Thanks.

All sorted, thanks for the advice and I got it all up & running for €65 (controller), €1 PFTE tape and €15 for a new fitting. €81! Definitely saved me €100+.

Thanks @Fruitandnut1 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 34 javiercarrillo

Glad that you got this sorted. I have the opposite problem (I think). The Genyo 8a on top of my cold water tank turns on and off every 3 minutes even when no tap is open or water being used. When it turns in the pressure gauge goes to 6 but then descends to less than 1 in about 3min and then it goes again.

I read this could be due to a leak but we checked and don’t seem to have any. We do see a few drops coming from the shower head, which I understand might be due to a problem with the shower mixer.

Is there a way to test that what’s causing the pump to go off so often is a leak and not a problem in the pump itself?

Someone on Reddit told me I should shut off the valve on top of the pump (in the yellow circle) and if the pump keeps turning on then it’s not the unit but some leak somewhere.

Do you think that’s correct? I’m new to this so I don’t want to break something else.

thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,

I actually had the same problem about a month ago!

First try switching off that valve. If the tank holds pressure then there is either a leak or there is a problem with an overflow pipe. Check toilets, tank in attic (if you have one) or the expansion tank connected to the hot water tank may be after losing air pressure.

If you have an overflow pipe on the outside of your house have a look and see is there water coming out of that.

This is what happened with mine: The hot water tank has a expansion vessel attached that may have lost air pressure overtime and just needs refilling with a pump (hot water was flowing out of the overflow pipe outside). Ours was 3 bar pressure. This is the simple fix. Unfortunately this didn't work for us and our expansion vessel and connected parts needed replacing. It cost us a fortune on labour costs so hopefully a simple fix will work for you.

I hope all that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

I have the same pump and a few weeks ago started squirting a little water out the back of the black knob.

There is a small hole there and I was wondering should there be a screw or something in this? When I put my finger against it, it stops.

If I need to get a new one, where did you source yours? Don't mind replacing it myself.

TIA

Hi

There is no screw in my unit either.

If you turn off the power to it and shut off the water you could unscrew the unit to see is anything cracked or leaking within the unit.

I bought a replacement from Southern Pumps in Cork. If you ring them and explain the problem they will let you know what needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yea my local hardware had a rep from southern pumps in and they got me a replacement for around €100.

I replaced it and running like a dream much quieter and seems better or more consistent pressure anyway.

I took apart the old and found small tear in the membrane rubber and put that tec7 super glue on it so handy for spare in the future if needs be.

Advertisement