Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge Troubeleshooting help

Options
  • 21-12-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I have a BEKO CDA554W fridge that stopped functioning correctly.

It runs for approximately 10 seconds at which point the compressor overload activates disconnecting the supply to the compressor.

after a few moments, the overload cools down and the process repeats.

I found the 4uF capacitor was reading 2.3uF when tested, so I have changed that out but the issue remains. The PTC relay seems to be ok, and the compressor windings are giving the following resistance readings: 17.2, 16.8 and 25.2 Ohms.

am I right in saying that if the resistances seem ok, then it would seem the overload is sensitive?

does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot further?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

the coffee has kicked in and I think I have figured it out, (only took 24hours).

my working theory is that the PTC relay is in fact faulty and does not isolate the start winding in the motor. with both windings in circuit, the resistance is doubled therefore pulling twice as much current causing the overload to trip.

I shall test this theory by using a multifunction relay to disconnect the start winding after 2 seconds.

this may take some time to set up, but I will report back for anyone who may be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 D.flynn

just an update for anyone who may find it useful in the future.

I tested my theory by manually disconnecting the start winding and the overload still tripped out.

for my next test, I reinstated everything with the exception of the overload. I just connected the spade connector directly to the compressor pin. This resolved the issue. I shut down the fridge by removing power and gave it a few minutes for the PTC to cool. I then installed a clamp meter on the wire that would normally have the overload connected. when I restored power, there was a brief rush of current (approx 4.5A) before settling down to approx 2.8~2.9A it remained stable for my 5-minute test.

I have found documentation online that this overload is rated to trip at 3.2Amps at approx 20' Celsius. The documentation also provides the winding resistances for the motor and the resistances for the PTC, I was beginning to doubt these components as most videos/forums online stated much lower readings than what I was getting. So, I have now ordered a replacement overload (€20) that should arrive in the new year.

I hope this comes in useful for someone in the future

Advertisement