Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual Christmas Exedous RTE

• 21-12-2021 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭

I've never quite got this annual Christmas Exedous from the News Studio's at RTE. Firstly everyone is of course entitled to holidays but it seems extraordinary any employer, let alone a National Broadcaster deems it appropriate to vacate the premises for extended periods over the festive season. It's not as if there's quite enough news going on.

This year it started earlier than normal, the week in Politics, The late Debate, Saturday with Katie Hannon all closed till January, some might argue this is because the Dail in recess, I would argue, the country certainly is not (albeit some will say the hospitality sector is) but that's another issue.

The 6 one News team vacated the building last Friday, one presenter yesterday, it begs the question why bother with 2 in the first place and no doubt as we get closer to Christmas the time slot will reduce.

This morning, the Morning Ireland crew won't be in till 8am god bless them.

Is this really good enough is my question, it would seem every second advert on RTE reminds us of our need to purchase our TV License.

Perhaps, there is no news, perhaps the country comes to a stand still for 2/3 weeks, who knows.

I can only presume the Celeb presenters have left the building also, I see Claire Byrne covered by PBH yesterday.

That's my morning rant over, I guess it's Newstalk for the next few weeks 😁

Happy Christmas one and all

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd expect a lot of salaried staff are carrying significant amounts of unused annual leave due to demands earlier in the year plus a much reduced summer holiday season. Many workplaces are on skeleton staff now.

The political shows are always tied to Dail sessions, they wouldn't be able to get the politicians on otherwise. News would be slowing down slightly, not as much as a normal year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, while RTE do have previous form for this, I don't think its unusual at all, this year particularly. In my workplace, a large % of staff have taken off early for the Christmas break. Its a case of use the holidays or lose them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

True, but a national broadcasting news service, is different. The current affairs world events don't take a holiday and you won't see the BBC or Sky dropping service coverage hours by anywhere near as much as RTE. The might have a few 'filler' items during Christmas week (retrospective reports, feature repeats etc), but the core news service maintains its focus and schedule.

One would have to question why it takes so many people at RTE to cover news during other parts of the year, if they can manage on reduced staff and broadcast hours for significant periods at holiday times (summer and christmas). If we can make do with a single presenter half hour Six One news for weeks on end in the summer and at christmas, why is it expanded to additional staff and expense during the rest of the year?

This year, more than ever, I think news is important enough to keep the service going - otherwise, why bother ramping up again in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see you point but "Demands earlier in the year🤔, what Demands exactly 😁"

Excellent points and I suppose my main argument is the news aspect of RTE's remit as a national Broadcaster.

It just amazes me they just seem to vacate the news room for extended periods over Christmas. This said I wouldn't take away from the excellent people who Fill in.

And as you correctly alluded too, there is quite enough to be reporting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Virgin Medias (TV3) news service is going off the air completely for 2 weeks, same thing happened last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

2004; Tsunami; Newstalk; Automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

It's only in recent times that Newstalk have pulled up their socks, they were in automation/repeat mode too the night the EU/IMF bailout was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This thread should be merged with oiling up the tape decks in montrose

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Hi, I agree, I hadn't actually noticed the other thread when I started this one, not sure if Mods can merge 👌

• Advertisement
Advertisement