Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any other bars in the city similar to Soho?

Options
  • 20-12-2021 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

It's closed on the 24th . I like going when I'm on my own as you can just sit at the bar have a pint and some food and just chill . I am back in cork to visit the parents over xmas .Just looking for an alternative ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭KurtBarlow

Any one

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

Just back from doing a bit of shopping. Stopped at the Oliver Plunkett for a bite to eat and a coffee. Busy enough but the kind of place that you'd feel comfortable being on your own. Clancys might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Most pubs in the city centre now do food. I've dined on my own in the Raven (great food) a good few times, though it's small enough. Arthur Maynes (the Crane Lane) too. The Woodford too has very good grub, would recommend it.

Also places like the Thomond Bar or Weatherspoons (wouldn't be my favoured places but would be options).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Assume a lot of pubs are closing? For most of them, it is not worthwhile to only be open until 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

A lot of city center pubs would close at 8pm on Christmas Eve regardless of Covid-19 restrictions.

• Advertisement

Traditionally - yes. But my point is how many will be open this year. Nothing to do with Xmas eve, just in general. The 8pm curfew is a lockdown in all but name. I'm guessing any pub that doesn't do a roaring lunch trade throughout the week every week simply won't be able to afford to open for just afternoons only.

But this particular discussion has everything to do with Christmas eve - see the OP.

OK. You don't understand. I know the op wants to go for few on Xmas eve. My point is that there is no point in people naming pubs that are good for what the op wants during normal times - we are limited to the few pubs that will be open. No pub is going to open for just Xmas eve, they need to be profitable despite an 8pm close every day (or, at least, most days) of the week if they are going to stay open.

Likewise, it's hard to say what those pubs will be like on Xmas eve, as there is no precedent for this.

i.e. "such-and-such-a-place sounds like what you are looking for (based on my experience there 3 years ago)" is not helpful, because chances are it is now closed or, if open, probably a very different experience. While it might have been ideal a few years ago, now it might be very busy as one of the few pubs open and you need to book in advance, or maybe it was full of alcos, as they are the only people the current trading hours suit. Or maybe it was packed with students who were getting their pubbing in during the afternoon before heading to a house party.

i.e. "I was in such-and-such-a-place on Sunday afternoon while Xmas shopping with the wife and it sounds like the ideal spot for what you are looking for" is far more useful advice. The fact that the pub was open in the last few days means it is likely to still be open this Friday. Secondly, it is describing the suitability based on the current pub experience.

Just to add . I'm not looking for anything up to as late as 8pm. 12 to 4 or 5pm will suit me. A few places that I've never been to have peaked my interest . Let me know if these are suitable

1. O dwyers cork

2. Conways yard

3. Electric

4. Impala

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭longrunn

I'd say they will be quite busy and you'll need to book a table (2 hours max). If you're looking for somewhere casual and probably somewhat quiet where you can drop in hand have some food and a drink then you could check out The Alibi on Washington St.

So OP, have did you get on? Did you find a sweet spot? Was it busy?

Ended up going yesterday instead so got to go to soho. Had the steak. Was delicious

Advertisement