Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZERO VAT on UK imported Laptop?!

Options
  • 14-12-2021 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I ordered a laptop from a UK site as I couldn't find a better spec for the money here. This is the site's info on delivery to ROI:

"Brexit & Republic of Ireland: Due to restrictions imposed by import processes, we are no longer able to charge Irish VAT on orders. Customers will be contacted by the carrier to arrange payment of the relevant import taxes prior to delivery. "

So what happens is, you make an account on the site, set your delivery address to ROI, and a few hundred £'s gets knocked off the price of everything, so there's no VAT, UK or Irish.

Now what I expected to happen after I purchased was that someone from somewhere would somehow get in contact with me once the laptop hit Irish Customs and I wouldn't be able to get my hands on it until I payed the €360 in VAT ...but that's not what happened.

DHL Rocked up to the front door, laptop in hand a few days later, no questions asked!

As I'm sure ye can imagine, everyone I say it to says the same thing "Say nottn ...Say nottn".

That's all well and good, but what I'm terrified of is that I'll end up having to pay a tonne of interest on this down the line if I let it go.

Any advice lads? ...or am I just completely missing something I'm supposed to do here?

Post edited by Clutchkick on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've heard in the past of people getting invoices looking for payment up to a month after the goods were delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

DHL usually invoice you for it later - at least they knocked the UK VAT off it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

DHL invoice retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Had a look there, no mention of anything, just says 'Delivered' with a green tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Right so, in the mean time if no one gets in contact, I don't have to do anything or worry about anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've had two DHL deliveries, where they have asked for vat payment upon delivery, and I've paid it on the spot at the door. Probably around 2019 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I was bummed to get a Fed Ex invoice two weeks after a shipment had arrived once. Thought I had gotten away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I had a DHL delivery this year from China. I was sent an e-mail a day or two before it arrived and paid the VAT online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It may be that laptop was sent from NI?

While I had to pay VAT on several items I bought from UK so far I paid 0 for all stuff I got from NI. Last I remember was toner for my laser printer.

Bought black one on irish website "in stock" and overnight delivery. After 10 days I cancelled order yet had to wait for refund until I opened case with paypal.

Went amazon and got the same black one +3 of the colour ones for the same price. Came from NI, no VAT charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

I had a FedEx delivery from the UK a few weeks ago and I received a link by email to pay the customs charges online. I was pleasantly surprised that the handling fee was only €6.55 but it was a low value item.

I received a parcel from the UK via DHL earlier this year and I also paid online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement