Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x or 2x gravel bike set up?

Options
  • 14-12-2021 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Anyone have any opinion/experience of this?

Trying to decide between the shimano 800 1x or 2x. Would be using the bike probably 50/50 on/off road.

I really like the look and idea behind the 1x but is the 2x more practical?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

X2 for x2

If you were racing cx then 1x is fine you dont need the range,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Will it be your only bike? If yes I'd go 2x.

I have a 1x GRX gravel bike and find it great but I have other bikes I use on the road. The 1x is manageable on a slower solo road ride (but can be annoying to find the right gear) but not really workable at all for a group ride.

2x on a gravel bike gives you huge versatility of what the bike can do, particularly with a second wheelset.

I'd also consider if you need GRX 800 or if 600 would do. They are meant to be comparable to Ultegra Vs 105 but it is even closer. Derailleurs are the same, performance not much different, & weight penalty probably barely noticeable on a gravel bike. I'm looking at a new build and will possibly go for just the crankset as 800 as I prefer the 48-31 ratio.

Answers

Advertisement