Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caffeine-free, Sugar-free instant alternatives to coffee (not tea or decaf) ?

• 14-12-2021 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for caffeine-free alternatives to coffee that aren't "tea" or "decaf"?

Requirements are:

• Easily purchasable in a standard supermarket (Tescos / Supervalu / Lidl / Aldi etc)
    • Can be made instantly without a few minutes of preparation required
    • Is a hot drink
    • Sugar free
    • Healthy!
    • Not tea
    • Not decaf

I looked at possibly Ovaltine but that is apparently 50% sugar so that's a no.

Any others to consider? Remember not tea (no matcha etc please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Cocoa?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bovril.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭bog master

Barley Cup! May have to get it in a health food shop, but even Amazon has it at a competitive price

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lowkeys

There are definitely some options you can get in health food shops. I’ve just discovered yannoh which is a coffee substitute and tastes great. It’s chicory and barley based and I’ve seen similar options in health food shops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah I saw there was nothing when I went to Aldi yesterday. Just coffee / tea / hot chocolate. So at least that rules out that place.

I'll try the suggestions here... also I see that Rooibos tea has no caffeine after all (I assumed all teas had caffeine) so I might give that another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Most herbal teas don't have caffeine and you can get nice apple & cinnamon, or berry ones, if you have changed your mind on teas! The Pukka liquorice and cinnamon is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah all the searches for "Caffeine free alternatives to Coffee" suggested things like black tea and matcha etc bizarrely... it never occurred to me to check up on herbal teas.

But I am still interested in something that can be stirred in like Ovaltine ... might check out the other suggestions too.

Advertisement