Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox oil with full service?

Options
  • 13-12-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My MK4 Mondeo will be due a service in February, before its NCT in same month, clutch is pretty worn, not slipping but has all the other signs, flywheel vibration coming down from motorway speed also but it's not rattling or making any sounds.

I only have the car since June 2021, but I'll be doing everything just for piece of mind, oil,air,fuel,pollen filter etc.

My question is, with the clutch on the way out maybe within the next year, should I bother replacing gearbox oil? It would be kinder to the transmission in the meantime but could be changed again shortly. Car has 122k miles and the clutch and DMF are original. Car's a manual also so it's fairly straightforward to change the gear oil.

As always any help appreciated.

Comments

Always replace all fluids and filter if you buy used car. Never trust previous owner story, like everything is changed on yesterday. Engine oil, engine oil filter, gearbox oil, transfer case oil (if installed), axle oil (if installed), brake fluid, engine air filter, pollen filters, coolant, thermostat (why not if system is already empty). Always ask the car price enough lower to cover all fluids and filters replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I kind of rushed the sale as I needed a car fast but looking back I probably wouldn't have bought this particular mondeo, the timing belt was done a few thousand miles before I bought it I'm going to take the guys word on that, not planning on changing coolant as it tests fine still has good protection hot and cold, brake fluid tester light up for over 4% water that needs changing soon also.

Advertisement