Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine malfunction 2008 1.8 ford focus

Options
  • 12-12-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

2008 1.8 litre ford focus. Engine malfunction message on dashboard. And then power to the engine drops. However the engine light doesn't come on. Tried a code reader got nothing as the engine light ain't on just the dash displaying that message. Recently passed NCT I dont know how they didn't pick up the problem. Been told it may be a failing throttle body any idea on the price to get it fixed?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

There can be a huge amount of issues that cause engine malfunction light on the dash, The ECU will put the car into limp home mode/reduced power mode once it detects an issue that would cause that warning message on the dash.

I don't think that engine has a throttle body, it uses fuel injectors to lessen and increase RPM by means of injecting more or less fuel into the cylinders. I think it has a throttle valve on the intake,but that's not the same thing as a throttle body I believe. Don't quote me on that though.

Can you describe what was happening when the engine malfunction message came on?

Bring it to a garage, they will have professional spec diagnostic tools and will be able to see issues that the ECU has flagged that may not necessarily have thrown a check engine light on the dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Petrol or Diesel i would have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 waters4444

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Does this car do town driving or fast motorway runs to clear the exhaust system out which is common for diesels as if a DPF is fitted they clog up.

That is why you hear them reving hard in a lower gear to get a burn cycle to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xDerp

Split air intake hose? Do you get the malfunction when trying to accelerate hard?

Re dpf: 1.8tdci doesn't have one (well, mine doesn't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 conor.golden

Did u get this sorted, having a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Did you get sorted Conor?

Advertisement