Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Outlook 2016 .PST/ost to Office 365?

Options
  • 12-12-2021 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Migrating my data over to a new laptop and I'm wondering what's the best way to move my old outlook files over?

Using the import tool the exchange and Gmail accounts move over perfectly but my yahoo account only imports the folders.

If I copy the file across from users/appdata will it pull across the emails too? Even when connecting as a "new" account the yahoo account doesn't pull down the folder structure or emails apart from inbox and spam.

Anyone with any tips on how best to get everything across will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sound like yahoo on origin computer was/is set as POP .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For the Yahoo account it is, yes. Unless one uses Yahoo Plus, I don't think activesync is actually available?

Anyway my issue is that while the activesync accounts all add in as expected. When I add the Yahoo account via the wizard, it does add the account but only pulls down the inbox, sent items, drafts and spam folders.

There are multiple folders setup on the Yahoo account that aren't being pulled down. Which I expected as it's not an activesync account.

However, I have tried importing my .PST file and it only succeeds in pulling in the folders but none of the content.

I've tried the import/export tool and it adds the old folder structure as a tab on my accounts pane, but again no emails.

Is there a means of pulling my .PST file into outlook365 in its entirety? Or of forcing the account into a full sync with Yahoo and pulling the data down from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you post screenshot(s) of your Y account settings on original computer (!! omit/cover all peresonal detail !!)? "Advanced" tab of most interest.

IIRC POP does not sync storage folders(only generic) from outlook to Y server and v.v . Folders created on outlook wont be on server, hence it wont sync anything (except generic) to new device.

There are third party tools, but i have not used nor i could recomend to put credentials there.

If willing to access same Y account from multiple devices, transition to IMAP setup(on all devices).

What i would be concerned is that your Y pst does not contain data except folder structure. What version of outlook you have? Try export operation again on that account alone, ensure its completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to close out on this topic.

After multiple issues with importing my old .pst, I decided to try a clean setup and to just add my accounts and let them sync there before taking a look at what was (Or wasn't) missing.

At that point everything synced apart from some quite old pre-2016 mails from Yahoo which I added back in to the new machine manually.

This can certainly be taken as a "little knowledge is a dangerous thing", as I haven't set up a machine from scratch since "local" email storage was the norm. The "new" fangled cloud and widespread use of imap rather than POP really does make the transition far, far easier than it used to be.

Advertisement