Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2014 Mercedes S class coolant

Options
  • 12-12-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

So got the message to top up coolant.

Went to Halfords, and their manual recommends comma xstream g40.

So went to dilute 50/50 with deionised water and the anti freeze is pink in colour.

The antifreeze I have in the car is green/blue in colour.

What to do? I presume mixing is a major no no?

Thanks

Comments

Do not use ever deionised water inside car cooling system! Only distilled water is pure enough for that purpose.

You are the first car owner? I ask because it looks like somebody used cheap and wrong coolant before

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Blub123

No, am 2nd owner. Bought about 4 months ago.

So am I looking at trip to the garage and complete flush?

Also where would you get distilled water?

Its due a service end of January.. Any issue with diluting the existing a little ( top up) with distilled water until then.?

Thanks

Because there is already garbage (wrong coolant) it can not make more harm to the system to use it short time. Damage is already done by previous owner. Soon as you get opportunity, flush that out. Only draining is not an option, need to get all that old out and may be use some additive to get system clean. It is very important to have a clean cooling system because only then it can cool properly your car on extreme conditions (towing, speeding, mountains etc). Distilled water is relative cheap but very hard to get here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I always go main dealer route for coolant regardless of brand, generally it's not a whole lot more, sometimes actually cheaper than the likes of Halfords for a full fill.

Advertisement