Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

it usually just means setting you up on the inverters app/cloud software.. so you can see generation on their portal etc.. depends your hardware whats involved

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Photo?

What's on the other end of the cable?

Inverters don't normally come with an ethernet connection. Usually WiFi.

But there is nothing to stop you from getting another WiFi access point and putting it in the garage.

WiFi extenders should be in the bin. 😂 Have multiple access points hardwired together.

As a side note. I'd highly recommend now getting your own WiFi access point and don't use the trash that the broadband provides.

You may still need to use their box to connect for handiness. But you just plug your network into that box. Turn the WiFi off. Makes switching super easy. New supplier, swap out boxes and away you go. No changing WiFi codes or anything.

You could even run the DHCP(IP allocation) on your own box so if running anything that you want an fixed IP for you have even less configuration to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Comer1

Thank you. Yes, they did that. It sounded to me like some kind of calibration procedure. Glad to be wrong.

Well if you have batteries the commission process may involve an automatic calibration where the battery is dumped to the house/grid and fully charged up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭MacDanger

As a side note. I'd highly recommend now getting your own WiFi access point and don't use the trash that the broadband provides.

Any box in particular you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Thanks Graeme. I'm in the UK at the moment but when back at the weekend will send a photo.

Broadband is provided by starlink. I'll have a look at WiFi access points 👍

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

That I can't help with. Last one I bought was about 8 yrs ago now. I expect it to just keep trucking on. As for new stuff, I'm too out of the loop. I'm into tech and I've given up on trying to follow the WiFi 6 or 7 or whatever I he new one is. USB versioning is just as bad.

Doesn't even have to be a specific access point, even WiFi routers can be reconfigured to be just access points. (Set a fixed IP, turn DHCP off, etc)

Have heard good things about ubiquity but don't have any hands on experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would anyone have any knowledge or comment on Jolywood panels and a Suzhou Hypontech inverter? I realise most solar equipment is made in China but up until now most solar companies who have quoted me were going with Jinko panels and a Solis inverter. Im guessing because they are tested and reliable brands. So just a bit unsure if Jolywood and Suzhou Hypontech are a known quantity, where they sit in the market and if an installation company might select them because they are cheaper than Jinko & Solis.

Also is it the case that your inverter has a life cycle of about 15 years and then needs to be replaced? Thought I read that somewhere a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd suggest a mesh system, you have a main unit and some sub units throughout the house, with access points there are dark spots. I went with Google mesh, yes it was expensive but since day 1 it has been perfect with strong wifi from the street through to back garden with no drop outs and easy to setup via the Google app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I've a hyontech inverter. Bought from midsummer so I guess its not complete shite.

Nice build quality & does what its supposed to do .App etc all works as it should. I don't have much hands on experience with other inverters so take what you will from that.

TP link deco is what I use for a mesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

My Solis inverter is only connected a week, but that is hardwired to one of the TP Link Deco units in my house. I ran a separate Cat 6 cable out to the garage to accommodate this.

I’ve had no issues with TP Link Deco M5 mesh system that I bought a couple of years ago. Very reliable coverage all round the house from the 3-pack, and just ordered another single to put in the garage now that I have a cable going out there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone ever had their pylontech batteries trip their switch?

It's happened twice on mine now, although qbout 6 months apart. Everything working fine once I put the switch back up but just wondering is there anything I should be concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What switch rating is it and what charge/discharge current was being pulled at the time?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Switch looks to be 63A.

Going by the logging i lost comms with the data logger at about 5:40am when it was charging the batteries at 2.401kw, with 70% SOC but I didn't get the alarm until 9:30 or so. Batteries were still at 70% when I put the switch up after getting the alarm so I suspect it tripped while they were charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hi All,

I did a self install ground mount system earlier this year that is 6.4kw with a hybrid Huawei inverter (5kw), an Eddi which one output is being used for the hot water tank and a Zappi for our ID3.

I'm now thinking about upgrades for next year that I could largely self install and would love some input or opinions on what you would suggest.

First and foremost are batteries, I haven't looked into them too much outside of understanding I'm largely limited to the more expensive Luna brand and that I need BMS too, is there an option to self build a battery with individual cells if I have a Huawei hybrid inverter or is that a no go too? If it is possible, what about BMS?

Is it worthwhile do you think, since I have the EV I currently try dump most of the excess into that, however it's not always home on the good days so we still end up exporting a blast, also realising how handy 5 or 10kw batteries would be in winter now.

I'll also be looking to install these near the inverter which is outside, so how protected from the elements do they need to be, should I build a small outhouse for these or what alternatives would you consider? Understanding they shouldn't go below freezing.

Moving onto the the Eddi then, I hope to upgrade the water tank next year too, will probably go for 200 litres as we're only 2 people but do shower daily and a bath at least once a week or more.

What would you do with the 2nd output? I see someone mentioned an electric radiator for the bathroom, that is feasible but is it the most productive use of the 2nd output? It may very well be, just looking for opinions again.

Thanks in advance, and if in my position coming from just having an active array, what other upgrades would you consider!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If I was in that situation I wouldn't try get a battery for your inverter. I would build a DIY battery and get a sperate battery inverter and install both in the house.

Their batteries are massively overpriced per kWh compared to DIY\low voltage batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had not even considered that, how would that work in terms of current in to charge it, where would that output come from, and then on the other end how hands free is running the house from that?

Storage inverters monitor the grid, and charge when there is export and discharge when there is import, it tries to keep it at zero.

A good few hybrid inverters can be used in storage mode (sofar, sunsynk, deye) without panels connected to them.

They just need to be connected to your consumer unit like any other inverter and also have a CT (or meter) to monitor the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How difficult is it to retro fit panels when the grant has been paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hi all, i have my panels up and going and I received an email from the ESB about my NC6 form. Do i need to do anything else myself in order to get credit from my provider for acting i pump back into the grid.

• Advertisement

Either you or your installer should have emailed the NC6 form to esbnetworks at install, did that happen? have you confirmation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭con747

You shouldn't need to do anything, ESBN will notify your supplier but I think Bord Gais get you to agree to their T&C's before paying out so maybe check your account if with them for a notification. I would ring whoever you are with anyway and go through the details of payment dates and rates to be safe. Keep that NC6 received confirmation email because ESBN can lose them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes i received an email from the ESB that "We have received your NC6 Microgeneration Application Form and Certification.", the installer must have done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s all I received from them also.

I then received a grand total of 21 cents for micro generation on my first bill last week! I’m going be rich I tells ya 😂😂

But it was good to know that all is in order with the system for spring/ summer!

Hi folks,

I got the electric towel rail fitted last night and wired to the Eddi. Works great. It's only a 300 watt element so takes a while to warm up but that's fine. I'm curious about the element in the radiator. Do they have overheating protection built into them? At the moment I'm running it for an hour a night off the Eddi on a night tariff but what's the implications of running it longer?

Cheers,

Mick

Milano Esk Electric - 300W Modern Chrome Flat Ladder Style Stainless Steel Heated Towel Rail Radiator - 1000mm x 600mm https://amzn.eu/d/4oKuqbu

It might not have a thermostat but should at least have a thermal cut-out. Whether it's reset-able or not can be the issue.

as they are designed to just go onto switches, i'm sure they have a normal thermostatic cut out.

Ah...

https://www.bestheating.ie/milano-esk-electric-stainless-steel-chrome-flat-heated-towel-rail-choice-of-size-93215

• Thermal Fuse Prevents Overheating
    • Must be paired with external thermostat / switch

300w isn't going to heat up a room though all that quickly.

This is from the description

Please note: The element supplied is self-regulating and as so does not require a thermostat, if you do require temperature control then an external thermostat is needed.

Yeah, so it will heat up to a set temperature, I'd guess that it's around 45C, and then regulate around that continuously (usually using a bi-metalic strip). The room thermostat would be added if you expected the room to get too warm, which I suppose can happen in Summer time, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭munsterfan2

Just finished mounting my (ground mount) panels and going to run the cabling through ducting over next few days. Is it generally black cable for both or should I use black for negative / red for positive ?

Black/red is much easier to keep track of. But not a requirement. If both black, make sure you know which is which before pulling it through the ducting.

Can panels be retrofitted to an exisiting array once grant has been paid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DC999

Hell, yeah. Grant is a point in time subsidy. But high labour costs will be the challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,726 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DIY is very doable. I'm not handy or at least I wasn't many years ago when I first got into PV. A lot of YouTube learning later and practice and I do almost all my PV installs myself now.

From a regulatory point, you only need a RECI electrician to connect your grid tie inverter into your consumer unit. You are allowed to do all of the rest yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Panrich

I had mine installed in October and made €4.36. I’ll save these up and buy a new battery when I have enough. 😂

Thanks. I have directly south facing roof where installer will only put 2 due to regs. I reckon it will comfortably fit another 2 bringing my total up to a 5kwp. I will talk to the installer when here and see what they think or if they do Nixers.

Get your rails installed with that future expansion in mind, then expansion will be easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DC999

• Advertisement

Once the rails are up, it's easier to install PV panels than it is to assemble an Ikea flatpack 😀

Excellent. Am I right in saying that I won't need to go near the consumer unit if I am adding to the existing? I'm just joining the panels together in series or parallel. Whatever way they have been installed. Some great stuff on youtube.

This back from the manufacturer

ref:HTRSSMEMVLE

This radiator has a thermal fuse which prevents it from overheating.

The rate of heat-loss through the metal radiator from the 300w element is high enough that they don't need to worry about having thermal regulation on the rad itself (ie: it never gets very hot). Just a thermal fuse which would probably blow around 65 to 75C.

Indeed. Before you do though, run your plans past us here. We'll spot if anything is out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The sun is lower in the sky in winter and therefore shines more obliquely on the solar pannels giving a lower output, similar to how output is lower in early morning, highest at solar noon and lower in late afternoon. Output will also depend on orientation of the pannels.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html will give you a fair idea how output varies over the day and over the year.

• Advertisement

As an example my peak power in summer is 5.5kwh off 4kwp south east, 3 north west. Peak in the winter months is around 1.9kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Happy Christmas everyone

ESB fitted a smart meter for me today. Do I need to do anything else for FIT payment?

No, if you were already getting the deemed fit, your good to go.

Your can sign up to the esb networks website, that you can see your import and export.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks this might sound stupid but would I have a new MPRN number because I can't seem to register?

your mprn doesnt change. Name needs to be the same as it is on your bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement