Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier

• 12-12-2021 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭

Second fight just kicked off

Poirier for the win but everyone's picking him despite him only being a narrow fav

Nunes shouldn't have any problem

fancy cody and neal to get it done and it looks like o malley has been handed another guy he should

beat that doesn't look like a step up from his last two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dominick Cruz is just fantastic to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow, quiet in here.

Good card so far. I can give or take the Nunes fight but buzzing for the Main Event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Wow

😮😮😮

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

That was some performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Pena was awesome. Well done to her.

I'd love to see Olivera do the business here.

Pulling for Dustin here. He deserves his day in the sun!

No doubt now that Charles Oliveira is the real deal. Took punishment and came back and dominated Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Hats off

Great fight. Charles is just the full package. He can win fights anywhere.

Oliviera v Gaethje should be fun

• Advertisement

I don't think Gaethje will be fighting him. He surely has to fight one of Dariush or Makhachev to get a shot?

I think he loses to either.

I want to see Oliveira fight Makhachev, that's a very interesting fight for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

After the beating he gave Chandler I’d find it hard to see him not get the shot in his next fight.

AFAIK Gaethje said on the weigh in show that Dana has already told him he's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nunes is awesome but beaming for Pena, what a win! BW women licking their lips at a shot now. Charlie Olives comeback was serious heart, crumpled Dustin. Some interesting fights at LW coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Hard to believe people genuinely believed Garbrant is the best boxer in the UFC. 1-6 now in two divisions. Will he be cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Cracking night of fights.

Pre lims were good. Dom Cruz was very impressive. Would love to see him fight O Malley next or a TJ rematch.

Impressed again with O Malley but it's time he's fights a ranked contender.

Where does no love go from here? Sad to see one of the best mma prospects and a former champion look a shell of himself.

Pena wow. What incredible heart and bravery. Nunes looked shook halfway through round 2. The rematch will be very interesting.

Fair play to Oliveira. Never gets the credit he deserves from the general mma fan. Amazing first round and chin shown and a great sub for the win. Gaethje next should be a war.

Dustin has the mcgregor circus again to make easy money and a easy win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I think Gaethje finishes Oliveira as much as I like him, he has dynamite hands.

Looks like it takes Oliveira a round to warm up, badly hurt by chandler and poirier in the 1st round then turns into a different fighter from then.

Still shocked with Nunes, she couldn't deal with Pena at all as she just kept hitting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I'mnotso sure, I think Gaethje might shade it?

Would love to see Oliveira vs Islam although hearing needs a couple more wins

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Still shocked at Pena beating Nunes.

Gaethje will fancy his chances and I think he'll finish charlie, poirier had him rocked but if Justin rocks him he'll

put him away

Feel bad for Cody, a bad loss for him and maybe a fight away from being cut but his fights are usually exciting so

he might be ok

Everyone in that lightweight div very beatable right now and maybe Islam is the exception and Dariush

seems to be the forgotten man who could be good enough to beat any of Oli or Gaethje if he ever

got a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

I don't see him being cut.

He's still a draw.

Too one dimensional a fighter and so predictable the last few years.

Looked by far the bigger man last night but always so easy to hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

What a card, my god.

I still cannot get over the Nunes v Pena fight, Amanda looked totally like she wanted out of the octagon in R2 even when she was just taking jabs that weren't doing much damage.

It was so weird, it didn't look like her in there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Super card from start to finish pretty much.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Amanda really blew it , she got to emotional and stood flat footed looking for the one shot ko , no movement no nothing ,

Also it might sound harsh but probably he worst way iv EVER seen a champion go out, No hooks, not under the chin, & tapped after about 2 seconds, she must have been nackered & looked for a way out, Even Pena asked the ref what happened is it over because she knew she hadn't even secured the choke correctly ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

She didn't look right at all. She was getting hit 2 and 3 times in a row with the same slow left jab. Pena could hardly believe it.

Nunes gave up her back aswell. Would be shocked if there wasnt a story there - injury or something going into the fight.

Didn't she have Covid recently ? Maybe she was ok but then the weigh cut f*cked her ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

During the summer yeah. Maybe thats it. If you look at the takedown, she sort of just rolled over to her knees and didnt move at all. Let Pena on her. She quit.

100% the choke was not in at all & its not like Pena was cranking it like Khabib on Conor ,

Amanda was delighted she seen a way out and took it , the worst title defences iv ever seen for how it ended,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I wonder how hard she trained for this and did she take Pena too lightly?

Pena did say that when they were scheduled to meet before that Nunes wasn't training at all leading up to the fight but that fight

was scrapped and Ronda got the nod instead

Pena did she that she thought nunes had been avoiding her for years also.

Then again Jan had a really bad night against Tex recently so it she may have just had

an off night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nunes gassing out super early is what cost her the fight rather than Pena showcasing any raw display of skill or executing some inherently brilliant gameplan. Nunes was not right as early as the end of R1 despite dominating, was breathing heavy even then.

Got panicked from that point on I think, she knew something was wrong that early.

I don't think Nunes necessarily took Pena too lightly, the real question is what exactly happened that she was gassed, panicked, offered zero defence, and threw winging, completely innaccurate and sloppy shots that incredibly early in the fight rather than just reset.

She was so utterly exhausted she fell down and basically tapped to being mounted half way through R2, not even to being choked. She knew she was done and has nothing left so there was no point even trying.

So I really don't know. Bad weight cut, something related to Covid, both of the above, combined with her getting older? Or/and she simply hasn't been training effectively? Hard to know but that was not "normal" Amanda Nunes.

I mean she's gone 5 rounds with GDR and Felicia recently, and went 5 rounds with Schevchenko, who is another WMMA GOAT contender.

It was really strange performance from her that showed really bad fight IQ. And being realistic - and not trying to take away from her - it's not like Pena was putting on some performance masterclass, not even close.

Something like Matt Serra and GSP 1 was a rare punchers chance that is always there and GSP got unlucky. Something like Andrade slamming Rose kinda similar.

The rematch will give us better answers. Still one of the strangest upsets I've seen in MMA simply because unlike most upsets, it wasn't a lucky shot or freak incident you couldn't have predicted, Nunes just drastically under-performed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Did anybody have issues recording this on BT?

I set up the recording but got two different shows - Cricket and something about the Heismen trophy. Very strange and also annoying

Advertisement