Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispensation 3

Options
  • 11-12-2021 11:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at this page from St Kevin's church in Dublin in 1910.

A number of the marriages have the number 3 in the dispensation column, including the Reilly-Long marriage I'm interested in. The couple are my great-grandparents and his parents are a brick wall.

At first, I wondered if it was a dispensation for marriage during Lent, but it started a week later that year (isn't the internet great for looking this kind of thing up).

Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I bon't think it refers to lent or consanguinity, it's too frequent. Possibly the number of times the Banns were read?

Edit duh - it is Banns, the top of the column reads denuntiones (announcements)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ah yes, that makes sense. I've never seen it recorded before like that - just presumed it was a standard thing that banns were read.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement