Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National car testing

Options
  • 11-12-2021 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all, I got 2012 car, which nct expires jan 2022, so I thought I might get it sorted earlier and earn one extra year? I just got the cert and I got one year nct? I thought if I make it this year I will get a cert until jan 2024? or I am wrong? Can someone point me the right direction? 🙄

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I miss all the auld bangers that were around before they went all European and brought in the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my understand it used be like this with a car coming up to its 10th anniversary.

You'd have to do your nct 90 days plus of the expire date to to be given a two year cert.

If you had 2012 car and the NCT expired April 30th 2022

If you did the test on the 20th January 2022 you'd be given a cert until 20th of January 2024 however if you went into February it would expire on the 30th of February 2023.

However some NCT were extended by four months due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ìf you got the car coming up to 10 years tested 90 days before its 10th anniversary the cert. will be for two years from the date of the test.

This means you gain nine months on the cert. rather than getting it tested for 1 year on it's anniversary.

If you got a Covid extension of four months on that cert. it means your gap between tests will be 2 years and I month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gateauchocolat

I got it tested 40 days before 10th anniversary and got a cert for one year only, the man who tested the car said he doesnt know why. it’s a pity as I was hoping for 2 year cert...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Unfortunately you needed to get it tested more than 90 days earlier than the test due date.

As I said in the other post you would get a cert from the day of the test and as you already had a cert up to the 10th anniversary you would only gain nine months anyway. Realistically you would need to go for the test nearer to 4 months before the due date to allow for a failure, repair and re-test.

From the link above -

NCTS are reminding customers that if they book a test that is more than 90 days earlier than the test due date, the test will be a voluntary early test and the NCT certificate issued will be valid for 1 or 2 years (depending on the age of the vehicle) from the date of the successful test. NCTS are asking customers to note carefully the website messages they receive throughout the course of the booking process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement