Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US (Washington Correspondent) RTE

• 11-12-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭

Oooookay….. now that O’Donovan has done his stint in the States, this job is now open for application.

Who is going to get it, will there be much interest, will it be an insider or an outsider?

Good few ‘names ‘ put forward….. Robert Shortt, Perry again, Libreri, couple of dudes from Newstalk, and more.

Who do you think will be the chosen one?

It could be interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

George Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nah…. Doubt if he would be ‘savvy’ enough for the job. Be a bit set in his ways, I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I never though I’d say this but that’s a good idea. Let the Americans suffer from George lee and give us a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I reckon someone young enough like will goodbody will get it...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone would be an improvement on o Donovan

• Advertisement

Ah he wasn’t that bad. I mean Charlie bird was surely worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Everyone knows CB is very eccentric so we tolerate him

Even by RTE standards, o Donovan was an insufferable democratic party groupie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to agree, dreadfully painful to listen too, talks like he's working off Android OS, robotic and utterly dull. I saw someone say they could listen to his articulations all day long, personally I'd prefer Kraftwerk 😁

As to who'd replace him, I predict it will be a first, or second cousin twice removed from someone already employed at RTE, alternatively a son or daughter will suffice, Nepotism and all that 🤔

But seriously that rather annoying bearded Chap on Prime time looking like a spare tool since he was pushed aside with the arrival of the excellent Sarah McInerney might be sent across to Washington, not because of Talent mind you , surplus to requirements so to speak.

Some pretty Dreadful presenters & correspondents on RTE to choose from in fairness.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Actually after further consideration, why the fcuk do RTE need a "Washington Correspondent"....

Why dont they just cover the news events from the US there like they do with other countries e.g Australia or Japan.....

Maybe send someone over for the Presidential Election for a couple of months......

but ya...when you think about it...in the current age of internet etc, having the likes of Brian O'Donovan faffing about over there is an absolute waste of money...

But that would be standard from RTE.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because there is a lot of interest from the Irish public in the US and the politics over there. It's very little surprise that a large portion of the public would be able to name the person holding the title at any time.

The cost for RTE to have a Washington Correspondent is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Brian o Donovan seemed like a sound guy and a good correspondent.I enjoyed his segments and he always seemed enthusiastic.

I call bollex....not that many care about the politics over there...apart from the circus that is the Presidential election...

And those that do care have way more access to vastly better sources than some overpaid RTE staffer on a 4 year all expenses jolly....

They are also probably better informed and more balanced than the heavily biased O'Donovan....

You can call bollocks all you want but I know plenty of people who have a passing interest in it than those who don't and I highly doubt I'm alone in that.

Don't know how you can say O'Donovan is biased. Reporting on whenever Trump has done something idiotic and the Republicans trying everything they can to suppress those who don't vote for them isn't biased.

Don't know where the 'all expenses jolly' comes from either. Anything that has to be paid for to allow someone to do their job is expensed like any company worth its salt should be doing.

Like I said, miniscule costs compared to the bigger picture within RTE.

My point is this....those that are interested in US politics are not getting their information from Brian O'Donovan.....

Any news worthy event that occurs in the US can simply be covered by RTE like that awfully tragic story with the bouncy castle in Tasmania today....

No need for someone from RTE to be at that scene....

Time for RTE to cut its coat to match its cloth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

+If they are going to the expense of having a correspondant they should be impartial and not basically another reporting branch of CNN as it is currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The historical, cultural and business links between the US and Ireland are very strong and more than justify a correspondent based there to cover events and news of interest to an Irish audience.

According to the census bureau 31.5m Americans identify as Irish.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/03/happy-saint-patricks-day-to-one-of-ten-americans-who-claim-irish-ancestry.html8

FDI is vital to the Irish economy and 800 US companies provide 180,000 jobs in Ireland.

https://www.amcham.ie/facts-figures/

Examples of when Brian O'Donovan was impartial, please.

I don't want generic 'sure he always is', give me clear, precise examples.

There are very few examples of Brian O'Donovan being impartial....

Plenty of examples of him being biased alright...

The general fawning over Joe Biden is particularly nauseating......

• Advertisement

Similar argument could be said for Australia....alot of Irish over there...not 3rd or 4th generation Irish......

Is it a token thing having him over there......ticking a box because of FDI?

The more I think about it the more I cant believe RTE pay for someone to be based there.....

But then again, it is an organisation that believes Ryan Tubridy is worth 500k a year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I say go for Dáithí Ó Sé. Guaranteed front row seat and first question at all US Presidential press conferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

They'll probably go for that CNN hack from Cork who was inexplicably treated like a celebrity for a bit over here.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes there is a large Irish population in Australia. I think proportionately more than the US but the numbers are lower of course.

FDI is a very important link with US, as they say, business is business.

You know I mistyped but you decided to play the smart hole.

What fawning over Joe Biden?

All you've done is make generic statements with nothing to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Leaning towards the dems isn't an rte policy as such,particularly when the Conservatives of the past in the US were a bit more normal.I have very little time for their woke leaning nonsense in general but pointing out/intimating that Trump and his version of the GOP are nutters is not a biased view,it's a general world view.

Exactly, pointing out what he said and the reaction to it is not biased. If Trump said something stupid it’s going to be highlighted.

Biden’s big speech about the Afghanistan withdrawal was very much scrutinised in the tone he delivered it in, as it should have been.

Hmmmm……. Sean Whelan has gotten the gig it seems.

seems to be ‘rattling around’ RTE for a while, has been in Brussels and more lately London.

Lad must be ‘flexible ‘ to be available for all those changes.

Good choice I would say, safe pair of hands

Sean Whelan 😳 Don't get this decision at all , his time in London was hardly inspiring, rarely prepared, unkempt, somewhat scruffy. He appeared to fumble through reports, especially live reports. Actually, he seemed quite bored, as why I to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

He'll be there so for the Trump 24 campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sean Whelan will be good enough I'd say (although the position shouldn't exist at all)

So, Brian O'Donovan comes back to Ireland and what seems to happen then is :- Brian quits his staffer job and hands in his notice to RTE. He then signs up with a talent management agency. RTE then contract him in to co-anchor the 6.1 news at extortionate fees. I think that's how it works anyway. All the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I liked Brian O'Donovan. He had an iconic presenting style.

I like Sean Whelan in London. Not sure it'll translate well to the US.

I think there's potential for one of the political reporters to take the London job. Tommy Meskill has been taking some political coverage segments in the last few months at non peak times. Wouldn't surprise me to see either Mary Regan or Micheal Leehane or Paul Cunningham take the London role. Not sure on either of their family situations but neither may want to go anyways. I do feel like they are overloaded in the political reporter area right now. You also have Aisling Kenny and Dayane Connor involved there too, neither able for such an important role. Tony Conneely probably wouldn't want the London role, he's been in Brussels since 2011 and has a son named Mateo which makes me think he married foreign.

Meskill probably isn't ready for London himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭GSF

Unpopular opinion : in Tony Connolly and Sean Whealan RTE had 2 great reporters covering Brexit. Far better than most of what the uk channels had.

“Iconic’ sweet divine, that’s a bit strong dude.

Geezer is coming back to the mothership on a new titled job.

Place is overcrowded with ‘correspondents’ ‘editors’ ‘reporters’ and the such.

Jeez man……..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am reading this thread with interest. The only point I want to make is I think this might be better in the Television forum, as this job would largely be seen on the tv. Maybe it could be moved, if that still happens in the current version of Boards. Only a small point, as I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Iconic is the word for sure.

His nodding the head in confirmation while the newsreader is introducing the story....his theatrical voice tone as if he's doing his best to sound like what a reporter should sound like. And then the way he finishes with the long stare into the camera to finish.

Good points Pussy, good points, I’d be a kind of Charles Mitchel lad mesel.

News delivered with the animation and enthusiasm of a three day corpse and a dead pan face that would make Myra Hindley look happy.

I bow to your argument, pal.

Iconic……hmm.. does it not imply kind of world wide recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

A lot of these Irish correspondents would not make it in US press due to poor appearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

No, he would never take it. He is on more money with CNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I don't mean to punch down. But he was always useless. And it should never of been tolerated.

Some very competent journalist in RTE. David McCullough and Sarah McInerney for example. And some very poor ones, Claire Byrne and a certain former Washington correspondent

Have to agree, no shortage of talent in RTE, it's a mystery why some of the chosen few are selected for stardom when they're outclassed by the average staffer!

Advertisement