Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of under floor sound proofing?

Options
  • 11-12-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a duplex apartment, i can hear everything (talking and footfall) from 2nd bedroom directly above. What is the best soundproofing underlay for laminated floor, please? I'm planning to replace carpet for both rooms.

I came across this mass loaded vinyl called ViscoLAM 100: https://www.absoluteacoustics.ie/shop/sound-insulation/viscolam-100/

Any thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You own upstairs and downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Mass loaded vinyl would be a big help but mainly for things like footsteps, and only if it is fitted well. Sound proofing is complex and installation is very skilled. Mass loaded vinyl would be less good for conversations, especially conversation from below to above. It is also only one step. There are other measures like rockwool between joists or isolation of drywall ceiling that could be considered. If conversations can be heard, I suspect that the floor might be gappy. Maybe there are holes for pipes or wiring. Sealing those should seen as an easy gain and thus is priority. If you put down mass loaded vinyl, be careful not to pierce it with screws. Whoever installs your carpets will need to be careful about this. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just what yeiiow was saying about sealing any gaps and definitely accoustic rockwool in the joists to dampen any voices ect ,and theyd be relatively cheap - ...

Is it carpet upstairs at the moment or a wooden or laminate floor ? Are there any ducts or vents or anything between the rooms that could be transfering the voices ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Big thank you to Yellow_Fern and Markcheese. I will get some green glue for the gaps. At the moment it's carpet in both rooms, i want to install 12mm laminated floor. Can mass loaded vinyl be used directly under laminated floor or do I need other layer of something else?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement