Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 seater Jeeps and commercial tax

Options
  • 11-12-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm looking for a new workhorse for the farm. The poor aul 02 Land cruiser is nearing the end of its life and owes me nothing.

Ideally I'd get a newer converted 2 seater LWB jeep, but there seems to be very few around, or they're very expensive. Crewcab type pickups don't appeal to me.

Looking through donedeal, there seems to be the odd 5 seater that is described and taxed as commercial. Anyone know the legalities of those? Could I simply buy a 5 seater and tax commercially? In truth, anything I buy will almost exclusively be used for cargo for the farm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it depends on the vehicle's classification. There were certain 5 seater SUVs classed as crewcabs or business class where they were converted for commercial use when brand new. I think this mostly consisted of removing the rear centre passenger seat belt and probably other things to restrict them to 5 seater only. The likes of Land Rover did a Discovery Business class, BMW did an X5 business class too along with VW's Touareg, etc. Even Ford offered a "commercial" Kuga that was a 5 seater only.

All these were taxed commercially but my understanding is that it was made tougher to tax them if you didn't have a VAT number as many non VAT registered people were trying to buy these because they were cheaper to tax commercially than privately. Given that you own a farm I would presume you probably have a HERD number so I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue for you then. If you don't have a HERD or VAT number then it becomes more problematic trying to tax it every year as it's hit and miss with the motor tax office as to how it's enforced afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Ah ok, so it's not any bog standard SUV that the owner has decided to tax commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They changed the rules a few years back on what could be converted and what couldn't be converted afaik. They are gone very strict around it now as the system was getting abused. The ones I mentioned above would have met the criteria as they were converted here when they landed off the ship into the country. Just remember if it's classed as a commercial then it will need a CVRT every year just like a regular van.

Advertisement