Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliable car circa €5k

Options
  • 11-12-2021 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Our trusted relics have both given up the ghost this year so time to move on.

Reliability and cheap to run are the major factors for us. Seeing a fair few of these in our price range. Mostly from 2010-2012

Any comments on general reliability of these makes /models please ?

(I'm taking an irrational stand against Micras on principle :) )

Yaris

Quashqai

Hyundai I20

Nissan Note

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭goochy

Can't really go wrong with Japanese or Korean it's Just important to go for one that's well looked after and not too high mileage . What mileage are u covering ? City or country driving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Country driving, maybe 15k a year ?

In my head over 100K miles is high - is that too low to be high ?

Diesel Skoda Octavia with full service history. Make sure dual mass flywheel and timing belt was changed, and look out for worn/leaking shocks.

Good luck, and good drive.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think the note (while not a looker) is very overlooked multipurpose design.

For reliability you'd have to at the various long term car surveys. I don't think the old adage of go Japanese is as true as it was in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I picked up a 12 reg UK import 1.5D Nissan Note there a couple of years ago a with about 70 thousand on the clock, paid 5K for it. Great car economical on fuel, easy to park and a decent size interior and adaptable boot space. Not a lot of street cred but she serves me well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Ended up going with a 2012 Skoda Fabia 1.4L.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement