Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, car park bump - what is defined as 'damage' ?

Options
  • 10-12-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

So, I had the misfortune to bump into the front of a car in a car park last night, whilst reversing out of a space. Very, very light bumper-bumper contact.

Very, very slow, barely moving.

Got out, the other driver was there and we look at their car. We literally couldn't see any damage - we both had our phones out with the lights on, and I couldn't even see a scuff. However it was cold, dark & wet, and the other driver wanted to see it in daylight to assess anything. Details exchanged etc. Waiting on call today. Hopefully it's nothing, but you never know with these things.

Which got me to thinking: what qualifies as 'damage' that would warrant a repair etc ? If we can literally see no damage, but the other driver insists on putting (something) through insurance, where do I stand if I want to contest that there's any damage at all ? If an assessor is involved, even theirs - can he say there is no damage, or is he (legally or other) bound to find something, as a matter of course ?

Both are 08 cars btw, so they're not showroom cars.

I'm just conscious of any kind of claim going through purely for the sake of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Plastic bumpers can hide damage to the brackets and possibly the crumple zones. While it might look OK with the bumper on the only real way is to take it off and check.

If you go through insurance you've no stand, IIRC you when you take out the policy you authorise the insurance company to look after the claim.

I was getting some painting done on my car a few years ago and they where showing me a car that was brought in on a recovery wagon after a front end smash, no damage what so ever on it and the repair place made sure the insurance company knew. If you try to deal with it yourself they can just go through insurance, the companies are starting to look at claims more now. They aren't paying big money for repairs either, a friends car got hit by someone in a neighbouring house and the quote from the insurance repair was a few grand less than another place my friend had gone for a quote.

Advertisement