Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial van insurance (young driver)

Options
  • 09-12-2021 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi folks is there anyone in Ireland that would cover a 20yr old,full licence young lad on a commercial van

He is insured for 2 yrs on a vw passet,

No one interested in under 25yrs old.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is he a named driver in the Passat?

Your best bet is probably an independent broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

No his own insurance.

Have tried numerous brokers and not interested in under 25s.

My own insurer will do me a favour and make a exception for him on my trade policy as a name driver,business purpose only,

That FAVOUR would cost 2G plus,which would more than double my premium.

So favours like that I don't want.

I can't understand where the difference is in insuring a car or a van.

Wouldn't be carrying passengers in a van and could have upto 4 in a car,madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Talk to AXA - as in physically go into one of their branches.

They can put a case to an underwriter and come back with a quote.

If he only has use of the van during business hours and the van is not used for social purposes and continues to be insured on the Passat, you should get a reasonable quote

Might try that

He is insured with Axa.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Solo I'd expect it's going to be exceptionally hard.

On a corporate/trade policy it should be easy enough - by the time I was 25 I'd probably done a million km in company vans (mainly AIG insured but also QBE at one point - not sure they are still in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A friend of mine has a business and got a 21 Yr old insured on his Co LCV through insuremyvan.ie but yes, you're looking at 2k to do it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

When did this happen? I had a commercial policy on a 1.9 Citroen Berlingo at 21/22 in my own name and with the ink barely dry on my full license and I was only paying around the €1500 mark. Would’ve been 2008/2009. And I had no trouble getting quotes. Jeez I’d hate to be only trying to get started in life now, they don’t stand a chance ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

inside the last 2 years. 2008/9 is 12/13 years ago now: that's a long time in Insurance Land.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your broker is doing you No favour if the driver is using the vehicle for anything other than YOUR motor trade business

He would be covered for trade purposes only.

What's your point ?,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's normal for commercial van policies to cover SDP as well as commercial use.

My point is, as a named driver on a trade policy, he would only be covered for use in connection with the insured's business, not his own or anyone else's

Yep as the insurer said,and I said..

Just trying to ensure you are aware of the limitations. Also, seeing that the driver had being making enquiries to take out his own policy, your trade policy will not cover him to drive a vehicle registered in his name. Again, only looking to offer advice.

Advertisement