Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cancelling a New Car Order / Advice

Options
  • 09-12-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Last May I ordered a new car, paid a deposit of €3000, didn't sign anything but was sent the SIMI sales order in July when I requested it. At that point I wasn't asked to sign anything.

The dealer recently rang and has indicated the car will be ready in January 2022. On reflection now, I think I want to cancel the whole order as I'm now in a different situation work wise, travel wise etc.. than I was in when I ordered in May.

I'd like to cancel and get my deposit back. What is the best way to handle this? Legally on deposit, can I expect to get it back in full?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you haven’t signed anything I do not believe there is a valid order in place.

Dealers are selling cars like hot cakes so I wouldn’t go the legal route to start with.

I would suggest you call in in person to the salesperson and if possible the dealer principal. Explain the situation and ask them to cancel the delivery.

See what they do at that stage. If necessary point out that you were under the impression that you could back out. When they mention terms and conditions, it’s time to ask them to produce the contract.

Have you ordered a particular set of add ons. The car may already be going through the build process. But I can’t imagine it should be too much of an issue to cancel the car. I’m sure there will be other buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the car isn't something outside of their normal stock I don't think they will be too difficult over cancelling.

You should bear in mind that they might have been looking forward to getting your trade in, maybe even have a buyer lined up so if you are looking to sell no harm in asking.

Advertisement