Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparing electric-only energy deals

Options
  • 08-12-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I've been with Electric Ireland for years, but hearing advice that it's a good idea to switch every 12 months to get the best deal.

I use about 2940 kWh a year, or about €820. I'm on Electric Ireland's "ValueReward" tarriff, and I'm zoned rural DG2. I pay by Direct Debit.

I'm finding it hard to compare deals. I have three windows open now: Bonkers, Switcher and SSEairtricity. On Switcher. SSEAirtricity comes in at the lowest at an estimated €896.47/yr, but Bonkers has Energia at €790.15 (seems to include €135 cashback. Then if I go directly to SSEAirtricity, I can see they offer a €200 credit for new customers but I don't see a way to estimate bill based on usage.

Do people use Bonkers/Switcher just to view prices or do you order through links on there? If I ordered SSEAirtricity through the link on Switcher, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the €200 credit for a new customer.

Would love some advice on getting the best deal. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

Each supplier will offer you their most attractive rate if you are a new customer. You need to compare these, which is fairly straightforward. First see what their unit rate is. Then see what their standing charge is. Next, their PSO levy (same for all suppliers) Check if VAT is included.

When you have the unit rate, including standing charge, PSO levy and VAT, you can estimate your new yearly cost from say 3 or 4 suppliers. One might offer you a cash back, or a gift card, to get you to join as a new customer. Energy prices are rising, it’s the right time to look into what’s best for you as a consumer. These introductory prices usually last 12 months, so be ready to go through the comparisons again, or pay extra as a loyal customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Just switch immediately! EI may call offering a better deal to retain you. There is a 14 day cooling off period after switching.

SSE- bonkers does not include the credit in final estimated bill, would be €852.63.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Standing charges and levies will be much the same for all.

Look at the actual physical unit rate you are charged after discount versus the latest rate you have been charged by electric Ireland

Thankfully rates in general will start coming down in 2022 as gas futures prices for early 2022 have dropped substantially

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I did this recently and used bonkers to compare.

DOnt select smart meter tariffs or you'll end up paying though the nose for electricity as the tariffs available on smart meters are very expensive.

If you are offered a smart meter install, refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

Average electricity consumption is 4200 kWh. People with higher usage focus on the unit cost.If using less than the average, it can work out cheaper to pay a higher unit cost and take a cash back offer. The best way to get exact prices is to input your MPRN number into the suppliers website, as standing charges can vary between urban/rural. If my usage was also 2940 kWH, I would expect to pay €634 at today’s prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 CryptoToFollow

If changing now, go with the lower cost per kWh and ignore the cash back as you will get €100 off January bill anyway. Energia have a rate of €0.1882 (which is 41% off standard rate) if you go direct and use the code ELECTJUNE

This worked out best for me using approx 3,600 kWh per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

Boardgais is offering 16.08 cent unit inclusive of VAT after switching discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I came on here a month ago asking about switching my energy provider from Electric Ireland. But I got sidetracked and didn't do it then.

Based on 2021, my average usage/year is 2874 kWh, supply region Rural DG2, 24 hour meter.

Using Switcher, SSE seems to offer the best saving, but it's only €51 in savings. I'm not clear how cashback would work in this case - with the upcoming €100 credit on energy bills would that come off first and them not eligible for whatever cashback offered by SSE?

Advertisement