Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual carbon monoxide and fire alarms

Options
  • 08-12-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Do hardwired dual carbon monoxide and fire alarms meet building regulations? Or are two separate alarms required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

To my limited knowledge you can have a heat and carbon monoxide alarm but not a combined smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. eg https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei3028-multi-sensor-heat-co-alarm/

As it's a heat and not smoke alarm it's therefore only suitable for a kitchen or garage.

I would like to know if a combined smoke and carbon monoxide alarm existed that meets the regulations. I've two individual alarms in my sitting room (contains stove), stairs landing and other locations which could be combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Great advice. Modern houses can have some many ceiling warts and Id love to reduce mine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t like them.

keep them separate is my motto.

they are both for different situations and very rarely , will the location of the CO alarm be close enough to the heat producing appliance to comply while also being within the zone for heat detection to comply too.

IS3218 will shed some light on the fire alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Thanks. I had a look at IS3218  but I couldn't find the full text online. Are you staying that a carbon monoxide alarm has to be close to the point of risk? In my place, we have a kitchen that is 4.8m x 3.8m. The heat alarm is about 2 metres from the cooker. The carbon monoxide alarm is about 2 metres from the gas boiler. In such an average kitchen, do distances of 2- 4 metres matter?

Advertisement