Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation for Victorian terrace house in city centre 110msq - BER - D1

Options
  • 08-12-2021 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

All,

As above, 115 yo house, mid-terrace, wooden floorboards and thinnish walls. There are 4 open fireplaces, wooden boards throughout and although windows look new then seem to rattle and seem to me to be very cold. While I can heat the house, it takes ages to get a good cozy feel. My biggest issue (I think) is that you can feel the cold air coming up through the floorboards. They are vented front and back, I've been told not to block these up, but I see the a few other places on the road have done so. Other people have also put laminate over their floorboards, which I don't want to do!

I'm looking for somebody to do a full evaluation of what I need to do and preferably somebody who can do it. Do you have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The vents in the brick to let air flow through the sub-floor are to ventilate the floor timbers, to reduce moisture and prevent rot. If your neighbours have blocked theirs up, they're either causing problems down the line, or more likely they've replaced the suspended timber floor with a solid concrete floor (with insulation etc). This is normally done during upgrade works, partially to eliminate the problem you're having.

You could potentially lift the floorboards and install insulation between the floor joists (using battens or netting to keep the insulation directly under the floorboards while still allowing ventilation of the floor timbers.

You need a professional such as an architect/surveyor/engineer to call out and assess the existing to see what is most feasible; how much work would be involved in various options, their cost and how much impact they'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

In addition to Penn said, you might be best served to have a heat loss survey done to find the issues, prioritise and lay out your options given the period of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Thanks guys. Yes, that's what I was told about the floorboard, they'll rot if you cover the hole, do you know anywhere that might do the work suggested?

Also, anywhere that might do a general heat loss survey?

Advertisement