Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail - AXLE 1 & 2

Options
  • 07-12-2021 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi.

The car failed the NCT for

Brake lining condition Axle 2

Brake Drums/Discs Axle 1

I know I need to replace the pads, but I've never seen the axle 1 & 2 before. It's usually Front & Rear.

Anyone know which is supposed to be which?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What is the year, make and model of the vehicle? I think it's safe to assume Axle 1 is front and 2 is rear in this instance. So, it's likely you need new front brake discs. New pads are normally fitted as well if the discs are being replaced. As for the rear, the problem could be worn brake pads or brake shoes if your car has drum brakes at the rear. Many modern cars still do. I am not a motor mechanic, I should add, this is just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Thanks I was assuming that axle 1 would be front as well. Just thought it strange for them to comment the location that way as I've always seen it the other way. (Front/Rear) and the way they stated Brake Drums/Discs for Axle 1 made me think the rear though.

It's a 2011 Hyundai I40 so has discs on the back. Hopefully the weather will came down a bit today for me to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You will need new brake discs and pads fitted to both the front and rear judging by what the report says.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Advertisement