Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install and boot from old HDD in W10 laptop

Options
  • 05-12-2021 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

My old Packard Bell laptop (W7 I think) refused to power up early 2020. 750gB HDD and P.C. has a genuine copy of office that was used as wife is working from home.

Online purchase of Vorke (256 SSD) spotted in a "Bargain Alerts" post. All good with this unit until September when crashes forced a new purchase.

I've changed the RAM (8gB) and the Vorke is back to life and running fine.

Took a leap today and inserted the 750 HDD into the Vorke and drive can be seen. Moved some files onto an external HDD.

I would like to know if running the Vorke with the 750 HDD is possible? Machine only loads the BIOS if SSD is removed.

I had a look at the BIOS, the 750 HDD is seen by it but there is no option to select it as a primary boot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Perhaps old machine was running in "legacy" boot mode(aka “CSM” Mode). New , "secure" boot, will see disk but wont boot.

Should/might be setting in BIOS to change. Refer to manual.

As poster suggested above try unticking “secure boot mode” in BIOS settings. I have my own machine set up to choose which boot I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Thanks for reply's above.

Found secure boot option in the Security tab. Disabled as suggested. Then "Save changes and Reset" to exit BIOS.

Pressed F10 to enter boot menu on start-up and got plenty of options. Selected the HDD and seen the W7 windows screen briefly and then displaying BSOD.

"The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact system vendor for updated BIOS."

So looks like I need a BIOS from Packard Bell (or Western digital for HDD) to be loaded first before running the HDD?

Try go back to setup and see if there is another entry that allow "CSM" it could be called just "legacy", should be under "BOOT" - some BIOS have two individual options to tweak.

Why you want to boot into HDD anyway, if dont mind me asking?

I'm trying to see if I can use the HDD as there is a genuine copy of office on it. My wife will then use it for WFH. I would then try and use the SSD in my new laptop as extra storage.

• Advertisement

Ah, i guess its 2010 or before version

you realize that HDD will ground laptop performance....Concider cloning it to SSD

I could clone the HDD once I'm sure it can be used.

I'll get back to the BIOS settings later.

Advertisement