Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long ( how many lessons) should it take a complete novice to get ready for the test

Options
  • 05-12-2021 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Assuming one lesson a week and one hour accompanied driving with a sponsor, how long would it take a complete novice to be ready to sit the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

There’s no one answer to this question unfortunately. A lot of factors determine how many lessons and hours of practice are required, no two drivers learn the same way or at the same pace.

Your driving instructor would be best able to gauge how many lessons and how much practice you'll need once you've gone out with them a few times. A lot of it comes down to confidence behind the wheel, observation skills, and listening to what the instructor is saying. Plus spending time applying what you've learnt in lessons by heading out with your sponsor.

Just find a good instructor and an experienced full licensed driver as a sponsor and you shouldn't have any problems, ideally stick with the same sponsor too because they'll adapt to your driving style. Also don't be afraid to drop an instructor and try a different one if you find that they're not listening to your feedback during a lesson, same goes for the sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I have seen the suggestion of 40 hours on a UK website.

I would like to know what people here think.

Just to clarify I would be the sponsor not the learner driver

40 lessons? They’re either a slow learner or a driving instructor. 😂

look at the very minimum the learning driver must complete TEN lessons, so that’s 10 hours, they might feel more than ready after that + a few hours with you or they might feel they could do with an extra few. Taking what the instructor tells you with some skepticism is important I think also as at the end of the day you are paying for each lesson, so I’m sure some will advise more lessons that may not necessarily be required. One thing I’ve noticed is some people seem to almost have a knack for it.

For example I know one person who’s in their 30’s now and passed their theory test at 17 & driving test at 18 both first try.

i know another who’s in their 50’s and has yet to pass a driving test despite driving for well over 30 years by now.

a cousin of mine passed the theory first try & the only paid for lessons he done were the mandatory 10 and passed the driving test first try also.

i hope that sort of gives an idea why it would be shy of impossible to give you any kind of reasonable estimate because it really just depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 get_test_ready

In my experience new drivers will not be competent in any way after the 12 lessons. These lessons involve much explaining and some driving.

Depending on how nervous you are and how quickly you learn, a new driver can take from 3 months to a lifetime. If you find a teacher who matches your style then things progress faster. I would say that parental supervisors do not work that well. Family dynamics and out dated information tend to impede progress.

Learning to drive competently is one thing but passing the test is a different animal. If you are not clear on how the test is structured then you will be depending on luck to pass. That is why there are lots of people with 5-15 tests done. They do not learn from failure and improve, they eventually get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Sorry to open a old thread but i dont want to start a new thread for my question Would a learner stand a better chance of passing the test in a automatic car than manual car does anyone know the pass rate of either as they have to buy there first car to do it in so if a auto would help to pass .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

An automatic is much easier to drive so easier to pass the test in. No worries about clutch control, cutting out etc.

If you want to pass quickly, go auto.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement