Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only children

Options
  • 05-12-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Read a thread on Mumsnet about a mum being told not to have only one child as they'll most likely turned out to be spoiled when they're grown. I'm an only child and in my 20s but I never knew that we had the stereotype of being "selfish" or "brats". Is this really a common sentiment? I was definitely privileged to receive attention and never went without anything, but I never threw a tantrum or took parents for granted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Read a thread on Mumsnet

There’s your mistake right there.

Didn’t read the rest of your post, tbh, as my family circumstances dictate that I don’t really care about other people’s opinions or situations.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

I'm an only child and I could be quite difficult when I was younger, especially in my teens.

Years of working various tough jobs and being involved in clubs have helped me to be better around people. I could have turned out a lot differently.

But yes, we do have a reputation of being selfish arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I believe it was/is a big problem in China, where you had several generations only children, grandparents only had one grandchild etc so there were a lot of spoilt children running around

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Other that that, they're a great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone who tells you to have any number of children is an idiot. These are the same clowns who ask people ‘when are they getting married’.

These are people who “focus” more on the lives of others, rather than their own. This is, largely, due to being desperately unhappy.

I should, also, point that anyone who has kids, or gets married, because of what someone else told them should take a long hard look at how they are living their lives and cop on.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have as many children as you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's great in theory but, life can throw your plans and your earnings both current and potential out the window.

Affording a child when both parents are in jobs, or one is a significant breadwinner makes it appear easily affordable to have a child. Life can throw curveballs in to that though. Loss of a job, illness and worse.

You can lay mitigation, insurance and illness protection and so on but they don't always play ball and even in a relatively secure welfare system such as Ireland it can still become very tight, very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree. Which is why I think the vast majority of people don't think that far ahead and pop out as many as they like, and then blame the state for them not being looked after. Someone in another thread thought it was madness to consider that before having a child, you should consider that your child may have a life altering disability. For all the reasons above, I'm surprised people have more than 1 tbh!

Advertisement