Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie question

Options
  • 03-12-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've a Sony turntable with a pre-amp that I had been using with a pair of Creative T20 speakers or an Echo Studio (via bluetooth). Mostly classical and opera. Bought the turntable to test the water with our listening to vinyl and it's been a winner.

I need to upgrade the speakers.

Had been considering keeping things extremely neat and simple by getting a set of active bookshelf speakers (given the pre-amp already in the turntable). However, a friend suggested I think about going second hand and looking for a half decent amp with some elderly, quality passive speakers.

I have no technical expertise here.

1. Would the difference be that noticeable?
    2. What should I look out for in buying used when it comes to an amp and speakers?

Many thanks, and sorry for the lack of knowledge here. All I know is that true audiophile stuff costs many thousands. That's not what I'm here for. But I also know that we want our collection of vinyl from someone now deceased to sound the best that it can for our bucks.

Advertisement