Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there a stigma against psychotropic meds?

• 03-12-2021 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Myself and my cousin take meds for depression and ADHD. I take antidepressants and they work. I have found though if I share this with some people (even family), the reaction can sometimes be negative. My mother said something like "Are you always going to be on those forever?" My cousin has also gotten similar comments from friends in his university who say "You should just exercise".

Now I do see a point in what they are saying, meds aren't a magical solution and are supposed to be combined with exercise, good eating, and therapy for someone to get the most out of them. But it seems many people outright dismiss the fact that there's a neurological defect that can't be fixed without taking medication. I doubt these people would say the same about insulin for diabetics, so why is it different for meds for the brain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are people who'd tell a diabetic to use a herb. There are people who swear they'd never even take a paracetamol. There are a lot of people who are busybodies and know-it-alls, and for some reason they always know better than your doctor.

Psychotropic medication is useful. It may provide the time and ability to tackle causative issues, it may be needed to give respite from symptoms or reduce symptoms to learn to manage them in different ways.

Personally, I'd tell them to butt out. The alternative is to say "Oh? Is that so? Maybe I should" and close down the entire conversation, and move on to a different topic.

Advertisement