Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is my bird buffet / setup looking? Any pointers on how to improve?

Options
  • 03-12-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have a small garden and I've been trying to attract small birds in for the last while. I've been reasonably successful at times but things have dropped off a bit. During the summer I had an avalanche of Goldfinch - sometimes 15 on the feeders. That was lovely. They seem to be seriously hooked on the sunflower seeds but I ran out and visits have declined since - I'm wonder is that to do with the food or have they migrated, or perhaps they don't feel they are safe with the lack of cover from the thinning trees (pictured - a horse chestnut on the left, sycamore to the right).

I'm wondering about the positioning of the feeder, and also the food I have out. I have nyger seed for the finches. They are around, though they have dropped off a lot. Then there are some sunflower seeds which the coal tits seem to enjoy, some general seed mix which is surprisingly un touched and then some nuts which are also ignored. I'm guessing I could do with a shrub or two as well, which I've had on the long finger.

Any comments gratefully received on how to make the buffet more inviting!

Nice one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

In my case, there are no houses behind me, but in all other respects, our layouts are very similar, even down to the positioning of the trees. I watch the birds arrive from elsewhere and the first thing they do is land in the tree with most cover. Then I presume they look around for cats before descending onto my feeders. One thing , my feeders are down near the corner. If I move them nearer the house, the birds tend to be a little wary.

Make sure to regularly clean the feeders. One time I wondered why the food wasn't being eaten, and discovered I had good food sitting on a congealed mess. As soon as I took care of that, they were back.

Sometimes I can go a couple of days with no visitors, usually when I have left the feeders empty for more than a day. But they usually find their way back. I suspect there must be plenty of options around for them.

Hope this is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

This is probably important...we planted bushes and sunflowers and have a small camelia in a pot, across the back wall. The blue tit in particular use the camelia as a launch pad into th bird house next to it.

I'll try to put up a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Thanks Nick yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'll take on board. Shrubs are on the way...some day now

Ironically, while I was reading this earlier on, in a window of about 20 mins I had a flurry of Goldfinches and blue/coal tits - they must have heard me giving out about them..

Advertisement