Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone Replaced a Halfords Battery?

Options
  • 02-12-2021 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

As above, has anyone been through the process of replacing a dead battery with Halfords?

I have one that's 8 months old and dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes. However there are loads of different battery shapes and terminal arrangements. In store they sometimes have a book or touch screen that asks you which car and recommends the correct battery. You may also be able to search through their website.

In general I would recommend going to your local car parts place. If they are quiet they may replace it for you, and they tend to be a bit cheaper. You may need lots of different tools to replace battery and if you connect it backwards you can seriously damage car electrics. Beware if you have a code radio (old) make sure you have the code. Either way try to bring the car if possible and at least the old battery to try get one that fits. Halfords do not carry all battery sizes, same with motor factors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly certain they mean claiming on Halfords battery warranty

Its generally hassle free the first time, but they may run a tester on it and tell you to try charge it again and come back; even if you have already tried and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

This thanks.

Useful information above.

Just wondering what all they expect you to have done as part of their way to get out of replacement.

When I bought this battery in March, it was the wrong size for the car so it literally wouldn't fit into the battery compartment. And when I went to exchange it the next morning they measured the voltage and said that it had been used and hence wouldn't exchange.

Strangely enough, they didn't measure the voltage when I bought it originally.

Had to escalate it with a manager.

So just checking what hoops & checks & balances I will have to go through now on replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

For a warranty claim they will test it, and most likely say battery is ok, it's the car at fault. They won't replace without a fight. If you can charge battery before bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I did before, it was 6 months out of warranty but they replaced it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Had no real problem getting a raplacement Gel battery for my stop/start system under warranty, only thing I had to do was get them to fit it this time around, as previous one was brought away from shop and fitted by my mechanic so they were unwilling for me take a battery away on the promise of returning the faulty one! Cost me €30 fitting fee ( standard Halford charge for Stop/Start battery fitting )

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I replaced one 35 months into a 36 month warranty.

I had the car parked up whe away on extended trip.

They tested it in store and gave me a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

Thanks all for the replies.

Traced it to a problem on the battery distribution terminal.

Battery seems fine. But good to know for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’ve had two batteries replaced under warranty with them. On both occasions they tested them and gave me a replacement.

Advertisement