Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building in cork - where to start?

Options
  • 02-12-2021 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hey all,

So myself and the hubby are hoping to build in cork next year, south side of the city/county. We have a rough idea of what we want, 5bed 3/4bath with a garage, 2 story.

Were unsure where exactly to start.

Do we start with contacting builders or architects first? Is there companies that are better than others to work with?

Where did others start?

Any reccommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you a site?

is it within a settlement boundary, Ie village/town? Or a family farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

We havent got a site yet, plan was to visit local estate agents today but storm has delayed it a little :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You haven’t answered all my questions above.

cork county is one off those counties under ‘strong urban influence’ for most areas within ~circa 1hr drive if the city.

so unless your a farmers son/daughter, your looking for a site within a town / village boundary or an old house on a site to do up / extend or demolish/build

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-ballydonagh-more-midleton-co-cork/3518441

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I’d start by finding if and where you’ll get planning permission.

If you’re not local to an area it will be extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciaramur

@wifey28 - Hiya, we're in the same boat, west cork based.

We just found a site and have all fingers crossed we get planning cause we love it!

They are pretty strict when it comes to moving into an area to build.

For example, the site we want to build on is just 20 minutes away, but not the same 'area'.

We live and are originally from a village, but our kids go to school in the town and this is the only reason we will be accepted. Otherwise we would have had to build in our are/village/parish.

Regarding where to start, start with a site, then get house drawings done up and your architect should be able to apply for planning for you. Go from there.

Best of luck with it all, exciting times ahead!

• Advertisement

That’s the worst advice I’ve ever read. Start by doing a pre-planning before going to the expense of drawings etc.

An agent will not get planning permission for you. They lodge applications but have no influence in the process.

Additionally having kids in a local school is not one of the criteria by which you qualify for planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My first piece of advice is do you have the budget to do what you want to do.........

I have just moved into my new build main contractor house 2 months ago, its a 4 bed Arch designed high enough spec house and its coming in at around €620k+ that's all in...inc kitchen, painting, flooring, professional fees, planning fees etc I tendered in late 2019/early 2020 (before the pandemic) and from what my builder says I could add another 100k to that if I was to go again now.

I had the site from my parents otherwise it would not have made sense.

You could also waste a year or 2 getting planning and even then not get it. Not trying to put you off but it is expensive.

The other question you need to ask do you just want a 5 bed house or do you want to build and design the house of your dreams? If you just want a house to live in and not too concerned about the design then buy a house it will be cheaper and you will be in it sooner. Otherwise you could be looking at up to 3 to 4 years before you are into your house that you have designed if you start now.

Have fun 😁hope I didn't put you off

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

Sounds extremely expensive with site not included (even with prices the way they are) what sqft and what location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Maybe..😋 but it a main builder job so I have a premium on that, but that price is my move in cost. The house is about 2500sqft and I suppose its a high spec, my QS at my first meeting with him called it a high end one off (so maybe it is...). It is an arch designed split level dormer so its not your regular house design but its not mad either.

As I said that cost includes everything

Professional fees, planning fees, flooring, painting, kitchen, M&E, Kore Passive foundation, triple glazed Alu Clad windows, 6 kWp PV system. I moved in with my bags under my arm.

Its located just outside Cork City. The tendered build costs were €550k so the rest is made up of extras and fees.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Currently building costs €1800-2500 m2. Also needs to NZEB.

re op… you have a LOT of homework to do… unless you buy a serviced site going in county (green belt areas of cork) will be extremely difficult.

Theres are a handful of sites near city on daft at circa €400,000. So a 5 bed detached 250m2 house on top another €500,000 mark, add on development charges & prof fees €20k… your probably hitting the €1m mark.

there’s a few further away from city about the €180-250k mark but you’re still adding €500k building on top.

If you go site in green area always speak to planner before you spend any €€€… I did planning for my sister & her husband and it took 2 years to get planning approved for Ballinhassig (on land that belonged to his family & he had proof he was from area & had a housing need).

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

Well wear, finished something very similar in 2017 with MNH builders. Never considered buying but if I was building today I may not have a choice.

Advertisement