Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket leather - adds value or not?

Options
  • 02-12-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Looking at adding leather to a new Tiguan due to not been able to order a new one in the spec I want. Leather option is over 3k with VW but includes elec seats and dimming mirrors. After market is coming in at around 1700.

Would the market pay more for a Tiguan two or three years old with leather? Highly spec’d Tiguans seem to command high (asking) prices

Think I know the answer but keen to get other views….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe?

Would it add an extra 1700? Not likely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It won't add what you paid for it, or anywhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It won't add much value tbh, but (assuming its a very good job and looks relatively OEM), it will make the car more attractive both as a trade in or a potential private sale.

Are the standard cloth seats heated? If so, even better... as leather does need heating really and retro-fitting that would be nigh on impossible without it looking very obviously aftermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

It wouldn’t be a complete waste of money. If its a really good job it will make the car more attractive and add a bit of value/saleability and you’ll be getting the spec you want which is the main thing.

Even if you ordered leather from the factory its not going to add much value to the car in 3 years time

Add to that, VW leather isn't the greatest quality... absolutely not worth 3 grand unless you really want the electric/memory seat option. Heated seats on the other hand are the greatest thing ever !

If you go with a good/reputable after market option, the leather will probably be better quality than OEM. Make sure the door cards and armrests are done too (assuming those are cloth from factory too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

As a nice addition to your car, go for it if you want. As an investment, not a hope. Your car probably worth quite a whack more at this stage than expected anyway so be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks for the replies - in line with my thinking however I do often see folks review used cars and often say they wouldn’t buy a certain car because it’s missing certain extras - if you want a Tiguan with leather maybe you’d pay extra?

Think I’ll chance it as the cloth are v plain. It doesn’t have heated seat either so I will get those added - better to have after market switches than not have them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

€1700 seems at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Make sure you see samples of the work, whoever is doing it.

if you can find one with the Winter pack spec'd on it already it would be better. Then you'd have factory heated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are heated seats not standard on the Elegance model up?

At least this one has them anyway:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2977884

• Advertisement

Yeah, they actually are... according to the product guide, standard except in the base model.

Basically it’s almost impossible to get a 7 seater Tarraco, Kodiaq or Tiguan Allspace unless you chase a dealer that has maybe ‘one in coming into stock’- after ringing loads of dealers advertising new cars on the web it’s clear most have sold them already. Was told I couldn’t order a new Tiguan till June and be lucky then to get it for Jan 2023. One dealer said I could order a Tarraco but he was sure it would be Oct or Nov when I see it.

Wanted a car for Jan so had to take what was there rather than what I’d order myself. Other option of buying 2 year old for maybe 4K less than new didn’t seem that appealing,

Never seen anything like it

Does it have to be from the VAG stable? What about a Peugeot 5008?

I believe they also have v long ordering lists - OH has a mate who wanted one in July so went shopping in May and the car won’t be ready till Jan. I ruled them out as no 2.0 option for Ireland

Considered a GLB and some coming into stock but only the 180’s which have a very disappointing 116bhp, dangerously underpowered for a car that size imo.

The Tiguan is no ball of fire with just 150bhp but the car feels reasonably lively on the road and has good manners

How much is the Tiguan retailing at before spending the 1700?

The new Kia Sorento comes well equipped and a 7 year warranty:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2658024

I looked at the Sorento but way over budget for me - that one for 53750 is for 2021 delivery, for 2022 the price is gone up to 57950.

Retail on mine is under 47000

Advertisement