Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protecting fibre cable inside wall against rodents?

Options
  • 02-12-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i had a fibre cable fitted 2 years ago from vodafone, by siro.

the installed a little box on the outside next to the main door, and a box on the opposite side, where the siro box is and that connects to the router with a rj45 cable. so far so normal.

now almost 2 weeks ago we lost internet. the technician needed 5 days to come to us. replaced the cable, internet worked again. i had to go back to the office in the meantime.

so they fix is, but 12 hours later, on the same, the internet is out again. now the technician needed 4 days to come. this time i was home - he pulls out the cable and shows it to me - it was cut, obviously by a mouse or rat rather. ok so i ask him, can you do something about that? like, install a metal tube or something that the cable can go through so its protected from the rodent? no they cant. or wont, i dont know.

so it seems like its just a matter of time until i will be disconnected again?! the problem is, i live in big terraced building. all the houses are apparently connected with each other through the attics and from below through the sewage. there are no "valves" on the sewage piping. my neighbour has a similar issue, from his other side rats come onto his attic all the time.

so i could get someone to install these one-way-gates into our sewage pipes, but since everything is connected with all the other units (like, 15-20 houses and a handful duplexes), the rats could find a way inside our attic/walls still

what could i do in such a situation? the hole they drilled for the cable is like 1 cm in diameter, and the cable is obviously just dangling between the outside and inside wall, unprotected from rodents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

come on guys, dont leave me hanging here :D someone must have an idea! :>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

How far along the cable from the wall entry was it bitten? Can you open a piece of PVC pipe along the length and slide the cable in and through the wall? That would give you some protection at least.

Example: https://www.eurosales.ie/products/oval-conduit-pvc.html?name=pvc%20cable&type=simple&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Can you plug in one of those ultrasonic pest repellants to make them stay away perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Here is one crazy for you...

Disconnect fiber from your ONT unit and pull back to outside box, re-drill 1/2 inch hole and fit 1/2 copper pipe, feed fiber back and connect. Seal around.

Rats will break their teeth on it, but not sure if Eir/siro will be happy once find out you mess around their hardware. :D

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

ha, thats exactly what i was thinking! but i am not able to do this myself... i asked the siro guys if they could install a pipe for the cable, but he said no.

and about siro - that wouldnt actually be modifying their hardware, right? i mean the other option is that rats keep destroying the cable and i have to call them all the time. i would actually be helping them, they should be happy to do that for me :D

seriously, they should offer to do that. i would even pay a little bit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Guess for every "call out" installer gets paid - interested party, and rodent infestation is not their problem :(

You said that hole already ~10mm - might be it is ~12 - see if it'll take pipe IN without drilling

As for "modifying their hardware" - no you not realy, but next time they visit they will see that installation is not the way they do - excuse to deny repair service or charge you for it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the faults are happening outside the installation window and are killing the drop outside of user damage then it will probably be billed to OpenEir. We all know how good they are at not bleeding funds.

Advertisement