If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Building Sign Off

  • 01-12-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

    Hi guys, I'm going through a renovation and extenstion at the moment and have an engineer signing off on the structure but that's all. What else do I need legally at the end? There is no architect managing the build.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,978 ✭✭✭✭muffler

    Did you get planning permission or do you need to get it?

    Have you plans for the extension and who prepared them?

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    You should at the end have an opinion on compliance with (all) building regulations and an opinion on compliance with planning permission (or exemption from planning permission).

    If you ever come to sell the house, or have to borrow money using the house as collateral, they are the documents that will be required.

    Typically an engineers opinion on compliance (with structure) covers one aspect of the building regulations (Part A - Structure).

  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BalboBiggins

    Thanks lads, yes I got planning permission but ended my dealings with the architect after that.