Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Help! Pics attached

Options
  • 30-11-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

So I Just bought a second hand hp laser printer on adverts. It has 2 issues.

1: There is a yellow line on the right hand side even when I print in black and white. It's usually less strong on the second and 3rd page etc.

2: there's a smudge mark that I keep getting on pages too in roughly the same place each time.

Anyone got any ideas to what the problems are and if they are easy fixes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Model number of printer would help. Maybe yellow toner faulty and image belt I think the call it. Again depends on model maybe picture of it also may refresh our minds

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

HP mfp m476

The smudge is always the same shape and size on the left of page but moves up and down the page. Some pages don't have it.

the yellow line is really only on the first page and pages after it don't have it.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Looks like the yellow drum is kaput.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can you take out the yellow toner cartridge push back the cover and see if there is any damage to the drum?

• Advertisement

Do you think the yellow toner could be cause the smude marks too even when I print only in black? I suppose I'm getting yellow lines printing only in black anyway, so it may....?

I'll order a new yellow toner. This one is only 20% so it could be dying at the end of its life.... I just didn't want to commit more money to this in case it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Sorry just saw your reply. The Yellow toner cartridge is causing one issue.

That's not your only problem though from this pic it looks like the black toner has damage as well from this pic. Check the same I think it has drum damage.

And this looks like it could be the transfer belt which can be checked for damage with a visual inspection. I don't think its the fuser unit but can't be 100%.

If the transfer belt and\or fuser need replacement as well as 2 toners you might be best at looking at replacing the whole unit. Not sure the age but other parts like rollers, separation pads etc. will all start to give trouble. Colour lasers are expensive to run.

UPDATE!

Anyone any ideas on how to tackle this?

OK so I replaced all the toner and I still had an issue on every second page on the same place. I have now found this (pic attached) it's a label stuck to the inside of the printer. its under the toner cartridges and difficult to get to. Is that part delicate? what is it called? can I clean it with alcohol?

Edit:

Took it apart and cleaned with alcohol. working perfectly now :)

Post edited by Zenify on

Advertisement