Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Help] How To Top Up Condensing Boiler Pressure?

Options
  • 30-11-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm having a hard time to top up my condensing boiler pressure (ideal logic max s18 system boiler). it shows 0.5 bar when turned off and 1 bar when it's on.

I couldn't find where that I could connect the pipe to Increase the boiler pressure using a pipe.

Any Suggestion?

Please find below a couple of photos of my heating system. Happy to take more if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Open that knob. That's an automatic fill valve and was probably set like this by installer.

Have you a problem with heating?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Domicio

To be honest, that is what they told me when they installed it last year as well but the knob is fully opened and the pressure is still low (0.5 bar when it's off).

No problem with the heating system. Everything is working fine but I read that the minimum pressure should be at 1bar and not at 0.5.

Is that anything else that I could do? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whats in the attic above the filler pipe? Presume its a vented system, so should be small tank of water up there...maybe your tank is empty :)

Hard to see the reason for automatic fill valve on a vented system.

I couldn't find any small tank of water in the attic. It looks like the water pipe is coming directly from the main Cold water storage

May I ask if you have any other advice, Wearb?

• Advertisement

Yes. Leave it alone if its working.

Otherwise phone your annual service person to see if they know why its left at that pressure.

You could be opening a can of worms if you increase the pressure without knowing the reason why it's at that pressure.

I figured it out. The valve has been wrongly installed upside down. Therefore, when I thought I had it fully opened, in reality, I had it fully closed.

I opened that knob and now the pressure is 1.5 when it's on and 1 bar when the boiler is off.

Thanks once again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

IMO, better off closing it again once you have topped up cold to 1.5bar as you will have no idea if you have any leaks or not, a tight system should only need top up once per year or longer.

thanks for your advise. I'll close it now.

Quick follow up question: I've adjust it to be 1.5bar when on and 1 bar when it's off. It is a condensing boiler. Should it be 1.5bar when it's cold and 2bar when on?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

!.5bar top up with a cold stopped boiler should result in a final pressure ~ 2.0bar/2.2 bar when hot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement