Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost my Social Security Card / Number in 2006, moving to the US in 2022. Implications?

Options
  • 30-11-2021 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi There,

I did a J1 in California in Jun-Sep 2006. During that time I obtained a Social Security Number, sometime between then and now, I lost the card and have no reference of the number.

I am now relocating to the US and I am wondering what the implications are, do I just request a new Social Security Number? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks for any advice!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

I think when you arrive in the US you can just go to a social security office and apply for a replacement card. You're probably the only person in the US with your name and date of birth, so once you can prove your identity you will get a new card with your original SS number on it. If you're moving for work you'll need to go to the social security office anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

I don’t think it’s that simple :( When we got ours few years ago we were told to hold on to it as won’t be able to replace. Our friends did J1 in early 00’s and I think she still had her original ssn and he lost his, he was given a new one. You will need it for employment and tax and other stuff, you ll need to go to social security office anyway. Not a cheerful experience, expect long wait but might be different with whatever restrictions will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I replaced mine a few years ago after I lost the old one. I knew my number. Should be fairly straightforward but you will have to go in person. I got it in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Thanks folks, getting a new one might be the most straight forward thing, and if they can see I've had one before, then they will be able to see what the number is. Thanks for the input. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Torcaill

You can also apply online. I lost my card many years ago and didn't know the number. Researched on line, filled out documentation, paid out a few dollars to a third party organisation (cant remember who!) and was sent my new card in the post. Short time later I found my old card - same number. I don't think you need the physical card (open to correction on this) - just the number.

Also did this process to get a copy of my birth cert.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6 affectionate_oven

Hi @Shades799 can I ask how you got on getting a replacement card? I am in a similar situation where I need to know my SSN (but have lost/cant remember number haiving already recieved one back in 2012 on my J1). I am moving to NYC and have a job secured but cannot start untill I get this number (compoany is putting pressure on my start date). Can you help/give me any advice?

Hey @evashiels88, basically I had to go to the social security office once I got to the US (make a booking in advance for a time slot), I had to bring my current passport with my Visa in it and luckily, I still had the passport I was using back in 2006 but I don't think that was really necessary,

I gave them my details (name, date of birth, where the SSN was originally issued etc.) and they were able to locate it for me and just wrote down the new number for me on a piece of paper and then posted me out the new physical card to my new US address.

I'd say just bring as much documentation as you can, I see there is a form that you can fill out on the SSN website, obviously that won't work for you but maybe you'd be able to see all the documentation they would need and then make your appointment with the local office and bring all that stuff with you.

Good luck!

Replacement Card (ssa.gov)

Advertisement