Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

capital gains on House

Options
  • 29-11-2021 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got married two years ago and moved from my house into my wife's house. I now want to sell my own original house, Am I liable for capital gains on the house as it is no longer my principal house and if so is it possible to calculate the same.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,803 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

AFAIK you have 12 months from moving out to selling the house in order to get the exemption.

In typical Revenue fashion, this period is way too short and out of step with the realities of how disfunctional the Irish property market, banking and legal systems are. @ years should be the absolute minimum.

You might want to give serious consideration to moving back in and moving all your banking, governemnt, Revenue and utility account postal addresses to the property and wait a year before selling it and moving back to the other house.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-19/19-07-03.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

That may be a lot of hassle for an undetermined CGT liability....and unnecessary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,803 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's something only you can decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ShelbyInc

You'll be liable to pay capital gains tax on a portion of the gain you realize from the disposal of your home. You can claim partial PPR and the calc will be: the chargeable gain on the house * (periods of actual and deemed occupation)/ period of ownership. This portion of the gain will be exempt from CGT with the balance chargeable.

Chargeable gain of house =

Consideration received

Less costs of sale (legal fees etc)

= Net consideration

Less

Base cost of house - cost paid by seller for the property, adjusted for inflation where relevant.

Plus enhancement(capital improvements) expenditure with respect to property, adjusted for inflation where relevant

plus ancillary costs to acquire the property originally, adjusted for inflation where relevant

= chargeable gain

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DESFITZGERALD1964

Thanks, Everyone, for your comments and advice, I think it looks like a smile and payout, but it does seem a little unfair to face the full hit, but hey. ho

• Advertisement
Advertisement