Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road Position

• 29-11-2021 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Here

Most common faults at the test (car tests only)

Position    36%

Vehicle Controls 19%

Observation     12%    

Progress    

React/Anticipation 8%

Rules and Checks  8%

Observation 22 %       

Vehicle Controls 16%

Progress    13%

Position    13%

React/Anticipation 8%

Observation  21%       

Vehicle Controls 16%

Progress  13% 

Position   13 %

React/Anticipation 8%

Assuming the proof readers were not all missing, why should there be such a jump in "Road Position" . Any insight ?.

I believe it could have been caused by a byproduct of covid lockdown.

Think I have found where the "drive in center of your lane" originated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 get_test_ready

There is much variability in the test due to testers' opinions and experiences, and variations in every test -including the drivers! So it would be normal to see different items topping the list.

There is no way for anyone to learn from the test feedback so we all remain guessing as to what any tester is penalising -and so the merry dance continues.

The brown car, in my judgement, could be a bit closer to the kerb for test purposes. As the lanes in the picture are pretty narrow there is not much difference, however, when the lanes are wider then there is an opportunity to be penalised for not being left enough i.e. the lane might get wider but the car should remain in the same position.

It makes no material difference but some testers take the view that you should be closer (follow regulations) and some others are reasonable.

(I don't know any testers or have insider information. I have formed my opinions from observing test outcomes and understanding how bureaucracies operate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

But any good instructor knows exactly what is necessary to pass the Irish driving test.

Simply follow the rules and regulations which are neatly encapsulated in the Rules of the Road, demonstrate good car control and show awareness and anticaption of their surroundings.

Re examiners. As the RSA informed me once "They are all trained to the same high standard". However will admit that over the years they may develop their own little quibbles and foibles but generally overall these will balance out.

Some do mark harder but if the pupil is properly prepared they will still pass.

Regarding feedback, markings etc if I had a problem I would investigate.

When I started first I would contact RSA HQ seeking clarification. But then one day bumped into the supervisor, told me not to be troubling those men in Ballina drop in see him instead.

From then on that is what I did. Found most conflicts were due to misunderstandings. Nerves play a hugh part in the way a person recalls an event in the test.

As I posted previously on Boards I believed I was working in partnership with the RSA in promoting road safety. Like all partnerships sometimes there was disagreements, but all eventually sorted.

Re. the massive jump in road position. I believed that was due to the road conditions changing due to Covid. That is, that there was no longer a line of parked cars along the side of the road but the test candidates did not take this into account and continued to follow the idiotic "DRIVE IN THE CENTER OF YOUR LANE REGARDLESS", manta. So they were no longer following the law and driving a safe but not excessive distance.

When I had a pupil at test standard just prior to sending them in for the test I would tell them that they would pass, but with the rider, unless you do something stupid. And they would pass, irrespective of examiner, conditions etc. However a few would fail, things like sailing straight through red light etc.

Pupils who came late, only had a few lessons my pre test messsge was " You should have come sooner, but if you really concentrate on what I taught you you will pass.". Quite a few did and passed.

The syllabus for passing the test is widely available in Government publications adverts etc.

What is causing problems are the idiotic "Rules" made up by driving instructors.@AckwelFoley

I posted the picture in the wrong topic. It was a bit tongue in cheek as is obviously in a country where they drive on the right but was posted in Irish newspaper. And when they are lane markings like that you take the left most lane if going straight or left, etc. And NOW and only now do you drive in the center of your lane.

Post edited by J_R on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 get_test_ready

Thanks JR, these are very useful insights.

I come from a quality and process engineering background and when managers standardise then things generally get worse. The health service is the classic example.

I see huge variability in the test 'standard' in practice. One of my best drivers actually failed (a surgeon who has driven all around the world). He was a great driver to test standard but still failed. And as if to average things out, some drivers that were definitely not safe, passed. This indicates massive variability in the way the test is conducted in practice.

Like everything in life there are good and bad people on both sides of the fence. Meanwhile the public are stuck in the middle having to navigate blind.

Advertisement