Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-wall, always-on (AC Power), all-in-one touchscreen device with SIM card Slot.

Options
  • 29-11-2021 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello

I need a device for my parents home that is very simple to use, or at least I can set it up so it is simple for them to use. I need to hang it on the wall and use AC power to power it. So I'm pretty much talking about an all-in-one wall mounted pc. But I need it to be Touch Screen and have a SIM card slot. I need this because my father is beyond useless with phones and gadgets and unfortunately my fun was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and never remembers to charge her phone but even if it was she would have issues using it. Basically the only thing this device would be used for is WhatsApp. Anyone any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would a tablet not be more useful? it has a touchscreen and the interface could be as simple as you want it to be. Just a home screen with the whatsapp app.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Have a look at this software (€7 one time fee) you can install on an Android device; it can auto-start apps on a reboot, and fill screens with a single app, it might be helpful to make sure WhatsApp is always to the front and running : https://www.fully-kiosk.com/#home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I don't think Whatsapp can be used without a phone. Not all Android devices will be suitable for a standalone installation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you can get tablets with a sim card slot. Combine that with the Kiosk solution suggested by Spocker and that should meet the OPs requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Would something like an Echo Show linked to a wifi hotspot (even one using a PAYG SIM) suit?

With these you can 'drop in' without your folks even having to answer? Also many functions are useable by voice, it being basically an Alexa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement