Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Stock Business from a Rented Property - Rules?

Options
  • 28-11-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Looking for some advice..

I was wondering if it is legally possible to run an online stock business from a rented residential property? I was thinking of renting a house and using a space room to store the stock which would be sold online. All items would posted so no customers coming to the house and it would just be myself working. No signs outside the house or anything like that.

I have no problem paying any kind of insurance, commercial rates or anything that might be required, I just want to know if it is legally possible as long the landlord give consent.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

Im not sure why a Landlord would be OK with this in a market where Landlords have a wide selection of possible tenants. However, even if you find a Landlord who is OK with this, you are still breaching planning laws by operating a business from a property that is zoned residential. This means neighbours could complain to the council and force you to stop the business. It also means getting commercial insurance etc. could be a problem.

Also, with the cost of residential property at the moment, you'd be better off using the rent-a-room scheme to house to generate income and renting some industrial space separately.

It just doesn't make sense to me - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have you looked at renting a space in a self-storage unit? You get round all the arguments above and also be able to claim 100% of the rent/bills against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What kind of stock are you talking about, and how would it get to the house in the first place? Depending on that, it could be anything from not a hope, to not even needing to tell the landlord about it.

If you want to WFH, I can see some real advantages to what you propose. But it all depends on the bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

Thanks, the stock would be toy models. I am currently caring for my wife at the moment which is why I was thinking working from home would be easier. I would likely need one room to work and store stock.

I know many people who have businesses on Ebay and other selling platforms work from their homes which is why I wanted to check the legality of it. I know due to the housing shortage at the moment, landlords can choose who they want as tenants but I was thinking a landlord would be more willing if I was to pay more than the rent asking price, and of course if it was legally possible.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

How is it a breach of planning laws?

The OP has very clearly stated that no customers would be calling.

There is no planning law saying that you cannot operate a business from your home - otherwise many accountant, business advisors, small craft producers etc etc etc etc etc etc would be out of business tomorrow as well as everyone "working from home" at present

OP - There is absolutely nothing whatsoever preventing you to run that type of business from your home as long as your landlord has no issue - and even then, I don't think its really an issue for your landlord as you will not be using it as a commercial premises in the definition of commercial premises (one that public may access)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That's when you are using the full premises. Eg, using it as a b&b.

A small home based business that is ancillary to living in the home requires no planning permission.

Never has, never will.

The key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become business premises?

Once it is still primarily a home and the business use is ancillary and does not cause additional traffic or disturbance to neighbours, planning is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would not even tell the landlord. Just let him / her think you have a hobby which needs some space for storing things. Lots of people rent houses with one more bedroom than they technically need. And do NOT offer more cash than required to rent it as your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No issue at all here as long as you don't have customers calling to your door. I done it for a while. Revenue called out once to check up because we were registered for vat, but there was no issue

Just go with it - nobody cares that you are storing stuff in your spare room and revenue certainly aren't going to care about a small business like this as long as you are paying the appropriate taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement