Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 4x02 - 'Anomaly ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 25-11-2021 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x02 - 'Anomaly ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Jesus those bridge flamethrowers are something else! You would think that people might be a bit more interested in putting them out when they had the chance!

I think I may have enjoyed more parts of this than I realise, but there was so much going on at once it was kind of distracting. Books mission itself and Tilly working out what the anolmaly was wasn't too bad, and I would have liked more time spent on them doing the work on that. Culber was very good I thought. A big meh on Burnhams relationship issues, the fact that Book, someone who 5 minutes later emphasised how not Star Fleet he is, can just walk into a flag officer meeting, and I just don't care at all about the Grey storyline, and even less about the Soong type android solution. Didn't like it in Picard, like it less here.

I think the thing is that if a bit more time was spent fleshing out these stories, over several episodes rather than jamming them all into one, would really benefit the show. The show just never slows down, and not in a good way.

The visuals were awesome though. Not sure about the space tether, but the shot of Discovery pulling away from the anomaly looked great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So we actually get Burnham being a captain, and not a superhero this time. The rest of the crew get to contribute, and she even actively seeks their assistance from others. We even get multiple scenes of the others interacting with each other, being their own characters and having their own things going on. It's far more balanced writing overall, and far more akin to the other Trek series. I'm skeptical it'll last, but it's still welcome even if for only one episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭corkie

Nice tie in to Short Trek 'Calypso' with 'Zora'

Referencing 'Picard' with the android bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why are they giving so much of the programme to the Grey story, totally couldn't care less about the characters - any other series would have been done and dusted in 20 minutes

Random guy has a solution to wavy thing - probably never hear from him again

I really hate the uniforms

Liked the ending sequence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmmm... Life form maybe.. something screaming it's a life form at me. Like my mind jumped to the amoeba Kirk encountered.

Wierd to turn towards Discovery though. Feels like sentient move. Damn, imagine a ship that big.. light years!

Anyway.. got some cool Kirk - Spock vibes when Saru turned up. Also some Kasidy Yates vibes with Book.

Separately I liked the old school red alert symbol still showing up! 🙂

• Advertisement

Oh and DAMN! Owosekun took some gravity straight to the face! Right in the teeth! 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

More awful melodrama sh1te 🙄

Do this yoke is 5 light years across swallowing start systems and they can just sit there in the middle of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

It's Unicron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Having Saru back lifts this show no end. Enjoyed the last scene and the forboding tbh.

But it's still Star Trek Burnham and friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

So this giant eye is 5 light years across? Assuming it moves at a comparable pace to it's size it should cross the Milky Way in about a day or 20k steps.🙄 Do they do ANY kind of research on this show before they lash into the script. OOOhh 5 light years - "THAT'S MASSIVE" exclaims the president. Hi 5's all round in the writers room.

FUK SAKE LIKE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This has been a consistent failure in every modern trek (except Lower Decks, where their respect and understanding of canon cannot be better). The writers of Picard, Disco and Prodigy drop the ball when it comes to this type of thing. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

"It's the [anomaly] that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Five light years is f**king ludicrous though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I don’t know why I even bother watching this crap. I’m unable to care about it.

Things that annoy me…

Burnham is still whispering her dialogue. She’s an annoying character and SMG is an awful actor.

The flames on the bridge going off in sequence like it’s a stage show for an X Factor rendition of ReLight my Fire.

Adira and Grey. Honestly I’d be happy if they just died horrifically. And now they will use some future tech to make Grey real while simultaneously trying to explain away the immortality technology Picard brought to life. Ugh.

Book just hanging around a starship because he’s the captains boyfriend and his ship being the solution to everything. Stupid.

Too many potential emotional breakdowns happening at once. Too many starfleet officers with the emotional maturity of the cast of Hollyoaks.

Things I like…

Saru. He’s just by far the most likeable character.

The visuals are great. The production quality is top. Apart from those bridge flames.

I kinda like the uniforms. Maybe i like the colour scheme more than the design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

"It's what we do, we're star Fleet."

What absolute drivel.

All we have is a bridge full of women.

Tilly the beached whale

No men of any consequence. A show given over to womens and gay rights.

The saru thread could be interesting but I'm out after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,018 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Such a weird choice. It's like they just didn't bother to google how big the galaxy is...

Maybe I'm being stupid but I don't get your point here? Milky way is 110,000 light years across, 5 light years is tiny.

What does "move at a comparable speed" mean? They said it changed direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,018 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In terms of mass/size, it's the equivalent of a person standing in a reasonably large city, like Berlin. We can comfortably move around 20,000 to 40,000 times our own size at walking speed per day, so their point is if this anomaly were to be able move its mass/size at the equivalent of human walking pace, it would cross the Milky Way in a day or two.

Advertisement