Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was taking away the youtube dislike counter a mistake?

Options
  • 24-11-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭

As above.

I usually use that as a reference point on vids I watch. If a lot of dislikes, its usually a troll video, clickbait, or something not as described. Now there is no way of knowing that without watching the vid. maybe its about the engagement on videos?

I think it should be brought back in and dont think it really serves a purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

It's still there as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Yes definitely, it was a great indicator of some of the pure crap that's up there. Don't know who it is supposed to be better for by removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's a pain in the ass with it removed. I always used the ratio of likes to dislikes to determine if a video is worth watching. Apparently it's only been removed for some users yet as part of some sort of experiment/redesign

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

It was good to stay clear of the rubbish. If the like dislike ratio was good then you'd know it might be worth a watch. I have the channels I follow at this point but this was handy if I went down a rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

in the interest of balance and freedom of expression it should be there. There is zero balance when a person can see positive but not compare to negative...

its silly in the extreme being able to see the number of likes but not the negative reactions. Take away both counts or none.. laughable.

the question is, why ? My guess is two fold..

1) the number of businesses who use YouTube and that YouTube benefit from revenue wise.... I’d say they are the overwhelming influence that would invoke such a decision...

2) the mental healthers...probably these quangos or some of them claiming that negative responses to videos could be impacting the mental health of contributors...

might as well ninja all likes, dislikes and comments...and have zero reactions but of course the ability to give a nice little pat on the head remains...

not very democratic...

From YouTube...

a BS statement... “To ensure that YouTube promotes respectful interactions between viewers and creators”.... how can you disrespect by disliking ?

what is respectful is enabling people to express and have recorded and publicized in a democracy, their opinions, freely, positively and negatively....freedom is the cornerstone of life in a democracy...freedoms to express one’s self....

not very good or well thought out. A cretinish move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If I was ever looking for tech help , or some sort of instruction, I narrow down my youtube picks, by

1. runtime - no one needs to watch your flashy intro, hear you talk shite about other unrelated stuff.
    2. like / dislike ratio - generally a good indicator if the video is actually helpful

Advertisement